An Interesting Dilemma. What Say You?

The problem with such things is -
It
"Privacy International has also expressed concern about another key aspect of the IPT's ruling: "The IPT has decided that GCHQ can use 'thematic warrants', which means GCHQ can hack an entire class of property or persons, such as 'all phones in Birmingham'. In doing so, it has upended a longstanding English common law principle that such general warrants are unlawful.

From https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/germany-encryption-site -
"25 years ago, the surveillance state GDR came to an end with the unification of Eastern and Western Germany. With it one of the most rigorous monitoring of the entire population came to an end. We as Germans have learned our lesson."

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Tim.

Keith

Interesting & significant difference is that presumably the Stasi just went ahead and did it, whilst the two Western agencies had to ask for permission.

I don't know that we are possibly being a bit naive as to think we can have any "secrets" when a billion people worldwide publicly display the contents of their breakfast on a daily basis via assbook.

I'm of two minds about this, but I do believe the bottle has already been uncorked, and as is the nature of things, you'll never get it back in.

That's 3 out of 4 paras starting with the letter "I" and IIIII can't be assed to go back and edit.

Hail Tim! :)

It's an iPhone, Apple won't unlock the spell check for me...

It's late here (4 AM) and I'm too tired to maintain the vigilance necessary to stop the infernal device translating me into mercan.

Tim.

Glenn M

Supporter
I feel, IMHO, that it should be illegal to start another thread with 'dilemma' in the title, it raises, er, inappropriate expectations! :devilish: :devilish:

Very interesting dichotomy though.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I think that Apple should have cooperated with the FBI in this particular case, given their is no doubt about the gunman. If Apple fight it in court and lose then a dangerous precedent is set by the courts.
Far better for Apple to assist in this case as a one off than fight it.

Another thing to remember is that this is a govt asking for back doors in to all iPhones everywhere. Perhaps China should have the same access to your phone? Russia? Iran? Syria?

Not to mention criminals (other than govt bureaucracies) who will also exploit back doors as soon as they can.

Tim.

The problem with the just this phone idea is that the phone is encrypted and apple have no key - iPhones are individually encrypted.
What the govt is really doing here is using a single case to justify back dooring all phones.

Tim.

Not just phones - it should read all devices everywhere.

Why can't I edit my posts in the paddock? It is not time delay, I can't edit it immediately after I post it.
I can edit in other areas, just not the paddock.

Tim.

Keith

No idea Tim. I've just checked other posts in the Paddock and the edit button is present & correct. Perhaps try a browser cache clear. I'm on my phone at the 'mo so difficult to check. I'll be on main comp later and will look into it for you...

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Not just phones - it should read all devices everywhere.

Why can't I edit my posts in the paddock? It is not time delay, I can't edit it immediately after I post it.
I can edit in other areas, just not the paddock.

Tim.

"Devices" are great, aren't they?

Now, imagine if, while going from point 'A' to point 'B' in an autonomous car, you decide to "edit" your destination mid-trip only to discover that, for some reason or another, you can't! Won't that be fun. :annoyed:

'Sorry for the 'drift', but, I be thinkin' 'bout stuff like that.

'Going to my room now... :shame:

I think that Apple should have cooperated with the FBI in this particular case, given their is no doubt about the gunman. If Apple fight it in court and lose then a dangerous precedent is set by the courts.
Far better for Apple to assist in this case as a one off than fight it.

Apple should have licensed the sales of these phones, they are used by criminals and terrorists because of the anonymity Apple offer. Move the goal posts at this stage and it may well cause Apple a good deal more grief than the slap from the US government for non compliance .

Bob

Back