De Tomaso Pantera

Found this one for sale in L.A would like to see how he is gonna mount the half shafts to the tranny :shocked:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 461
You have to admire the audacity of that place. More than once they have sold some total POS half-complete Pantera, advertising that it comes 'with transmission'. Ignorant people aren't smart enough to figure out that it's out of an old pickup truck!

Keith

It might be my failing eyesight but isn't that a drive shaft coupling (circled).

In which case it has a superfluous tail housing??

Attachments

• Pant3.jpg
    Pant3.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 175
It might be my failing eyesight but isn't that a drive shaft coupling (circled).

Hahahahaha!!!!!

Panteras, like GT40s, use transaxles. In fact both used variants of the same ZF transaxle.

This is a Ford C4 or C6 automatic transmission from a front engine rear drive car!!!!

Mike

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Found this one for sale in L.A would like to see how he is gonna mount the half shafts to the tranny :shocked:

W/O being able to see/read the rest of the ad, my guess is the only reason the tranny is there at all is to hold the engine in place for the photo.

I can't imagine anyone being 'bold' enough to try to claim that tranny belonged in the car...nor can I envision any Pantera buyer who'd think/believe it did.

Buuuuuuut, these days one never knows...

Last edited:
W/O being able to see/read the rest of the ad, my guess is the only reason the tranny is there at all is to hold the engine in place for the photo.

I can't imagine anyone being 'bold' enough to try to claim that tranny belonged in the car...nor can I envision any Pantera buyer who'd think/believe it did.

Buuuuuuut, these days one never knows...

The dealer claims the car comes with an manual transmission :laugh:
Maybe it's time to do something different then selling classic cars :shocked:

1971 DeTomaso Pantera1971 DeTomaso Pantera in maroon with black interior. Equipped with a manual transmission and Campagnolo wheels. Very desirable project car with lots of potential. Excellent platform for restoration and the motor turns freely by hand. For $29,950 If you have any additional questions Please call 310-xxx-xxxx or email with any questions! We also welcome all international buyers. We can help with shipping quotes and arrangements. , 1971 DeTomaso Pantera in maroon with black interior. Equipped with a manual transmission and Campagnolo wheels. Very desirable project car with lots of potential. Excellent platform for restoration and the motor turns freely by hand.

Nope, that's the cover plate over the rear band piston of a C4 Ford Auto Keith.
But as I mentioned above 'BillE' who made up those Ford 9" with tooth belt drive units could make this work...haven't seen him on here for a while, but he posted on CC a week or two ago. I did look into making a transaxle incorporating a C4, but don't have a reason or need for it.

Keith

Thanks Jac... :thumbsup:

I suppose all bets were off if the prospective buyer demanded a test drive..

As regards BillE, I would have loved to see how that monster went. The drive system was something else. I wonder if it kept the belts on ok?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
1971 DeTomaso Pantera1971 DeTomaso Pantera in maroon with black interior. Equipped with a manual transmission and Campagnolo wheels. Very desirable project car with lots of potential. Excellent platform for restoration and the motor turns freely by hand. For $29,950 If you have any additional questions Please call 310-xxx-xxxx or email with any questions! We also welcome all international buyers. We can help with shipping quotes and arrangements. , 1971 DeTomaso Pantera in maroon with black interior. Equipped with a manual transmission and Campagnolo wheels. Very desirable project car with lots of potential. Excellent platform for restoration and the motor turns freely by hand.

What a DIPSTICK... :evil:

The paddock kangaroo court at its finest. That thur dang gebowx might jess be in thur sportin da injun. The seller may well have the transaxle to go with the car. Kin wogz is all the same :laugh:

Bob

Has anyone phoned to see??

Last edited:
The paddock kangaroo court at its finest. That thur dang gebowx might jess be in thur sportin da injun. The seller may well have the transaxle to go with the car. Kin wogz is all the same :laugh:

Bob

Has anyone phoned to see??

The engine is self supporting and doesn't need a gearbox to remain in position.

There is no ZF with this car. It's been for sale for a long long time.

Back