Notices

The Paddock Enter at your own risk.

Old 20th August 2017, 01:17 PM   #1601
Ron Earp
Administrator
United States

GT40: None.
Re: GT40s.com Paddock Politics Thread

Yep, read another thread or forum if coming here pisses you off. I too get emails, PMs, etc. every now and again from folks who do not like someone else's viewpoint or attitude. It's a paddock area folks, you do not have to participate.

I don't participate in the paddock, for the most part, because I've never been one to argue with folks over politics on the internet. I use the term argue because most of these threads are not discussions - people aren't learning new concepts, or learning how others might view a particular topic, you know, being empathetic. These threads are typically sides presenting their viewpoint and little discussion happens. I realized that long ago and decided to not waste my time. Your mileage may vary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ron Earp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 05:17 PM   #1602
MHNCO
GT40 For Life
United States

GT40: SPF 2161

I follow your approach but admit to getting sucked in a couple times a year. I mostly just jump in to yank someone string but it's a poor use of time for everyone I think. I bet I can guess who tattles to the mods though. I'd bet their initials are ROD! I hear it's enter at your own risk but then I hear threats of banning and what not. Which is it? If you mouth off and then tattle when someone fires back I'd can your ass yesterday. I'm heading back to more interesting GT40 topics. Too bad the main parties don't have more seem remotely interested in the core subject matter of this forum.

PS I'd support making it for GOLD members only. You should have to pay to lay all the BS on everyone that many in here do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MHNCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 06:27 PM   #1603
tednphx
Gold Supporter
United States

GT40: CAV#40, 54Vette

Ron, according to my Webster a "paddock" is a place where horses are saddled or a parking place for race cars at a race track. Ergo all conversations in the GT40 Paddock should be limited to horse or race car parking subjects. I wonder if many of the members in this forum agree with me that these political tirades should go to some other forum?
tednphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 08:04 PM   #1604
Ron Earp
Administrator
United States

GT40: None.

Tom, it is irrelevant what Webster's defines the word Paddock to mean. Here, we have defined it to be a place where all threads not associated with other subforums are to reside.

Ghost stories? Paddock.

Jokes? Paddock.

Latest movie? Paddock.

Politics? Paddock.

And so on. It is what it is. Don't want to read political drivel? Don't click on political threads in The Paddock. Can't refrain from clicking on political threads? Bone up on self control or don't enter The Paddock.

Ron Earp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM   #1605
YerDugliness
Lifetime Premier Supporter
United States

GT40: 1/24 scale MKII

Hear-hear!!!

I applaud you for the guidance you just provided, Ron.

Cheers!!!

Doug

Retired twice, now back at work, but still attempting to age disgracefully
YerDugliness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:12 PM   #1606
Professor Plumpe Moderator
Keith1
School for Scandal
United Kingdom

A bit late to this party - have been in the dreaded sick house.

I'd like to chuck my 2 cents in - as a UK based moderator, I have no clue as to what much of the Politics threads are all about as it's 99.9% US centric, but I'll tell you one thing (or maybe 2 ) that it doesn't represent the best facets of the American character by a long way with a couple of minor exceptions. I have met many Americans and have liked them all. Heck, one of my American friends I've never even met!

I think it's quite clear there are only half dozen or so involved so I've never thought it a major issue as it's now compartmentalised.

The Politics thread just seems like a great pissing contest with no hope of winning and no cigar. In many ways, the Politics also thread seems to reflect the deepening divisions in American Society in general, perhaps that's why it's so feisty.

The Paddock however does serve one useful purpose. It keeps this kind of crap off the main forum and thus Ron's vision for his site is intact and unharmed, making it still the greatest resource of GT40's (and a heck of a lot more beside) info in the world.

If I wasn't involved, would I object to it? No, I don't think so, as others have said, if I was offended by it, I'd just not visit. I believe people object to the Politics thread because it doesn't exactly cast the protagonists in a very good light and, from what I understand from some pm's, people are ashamed of it.

Whatever, carry on as far as I'm concerned with the wish that civility returns in some measure.

Plum Out.
PS Please don't remove or deface my statue..
Old Today, 01:28 PM   #1607
Al Wohlstrom
I Have No Life
United States

GT40: RCR SLC LS7 Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1 View Post
A bit late to this party - have been in the dreaded sick house.

I'd like to chuck my 2 cents in - as a UK based moderator, I have no clue as to what much of the Politics threads are all about as it's 99.9% US centric, but I'll tell you one thing (or maybe 2 ) that it doesn't represent the best facets of the American character by a long way with a couple of minor exceptions. I have met many Americans and have liked them all. Heck, one of my American friends I've never even met!

I think it's quite clear there are only half dozen or so involved so I've never thought it a major issue as it's now compartmentalised.

The Politics thread just seems like a great pissing contest with no hope of winning and no cigar. In many ways, the Politics also thread seems to reflect the deepening divisions in American Society in general, perhaps that's why it's so feisty.

The Paddock however does serve one useful purpose. It keeps this kind of crap off the main forum and thus Ron's vision for his site is intact and unharmed, making it still the greatest resource of GT40's (and a heck of a lot more beside) info in the world.

If I wasn't involved, would I object to it? No, I don't think so, as others have said, if I was offended by it, I'd just not visit. I believe people object to the Politics thread because it doesn't exactly cast the protagonists in a very good light and, from what I understand from some pm's, people are ashamed of it.

Whatever, carry on as far as I'm concerned with the wish that civility returns in some measure.

Plum Out.
PS Please don't remove or deface my statue..
Oh fuck off Keith, Just kidding Glad you're feeling better.