Lotus Elise UK feedback please.

Don't know if it is the correct section, so move it if not.

I have been thinking about a Lotus ELise S1 lately. THe problem is the budget.

SO, UK members, do you have an idea of how cheap you can find one, complete, with no chassis damage?

THe lowest adds are @ 7000 UK pounds. Is there any chance to find a "project car", with a clean and straight chassis for less?

Thanks for the inputs

Olivier.

Hi,
I can't speak directly for the Elise, but I can comment as a previous owner of an Vx220 (Opel Speedster) for 4 years. These are usually a bit cheaper than the Elise S1, and have a number of advantages: ABS, Airbag, lower sills, far more reliable / powerful engines. Plus they had the advantage of Vauxhall/Opel bringing some quality improvements I understand. One big disadvantage though - the badge! I would certainly consider one if you are looking for a cheaper elise.

Things to look for - obviously the well documented head gasket failures on the K-Series elises (esp the higher power versions), check all electrics work, crash damage (as you state), engine mounts and coolant bottles on the Vx220. Whatever you buy take a look at the radiator - it was an old Renault 4 unit with plastic end caps mounted horizontally. It WILL fail at some point - make sure it's replaced by an all aluminium unit.

There's a couple of lotus guys on here, hopefully will be along in a minute.

Back