Today is the greatest sporting day of the year

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
The Masters. And a Brit won it as Spieth proceeded to dumping it in the creek in an epic meltdown.

Keith

A sport named The Masters? Sorry if i come across a bit dim but i'm still none the wiser. I suppose it's inevitable if one doesn't watch TV or read the newspapers...

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
There are quite a few of us who think of it more as madness than a true sport :idea: !!

One really must admire those who can do it well...but as for whether or not to call it a sport, well, i have my doubts, Keith...perhaps an enjoyable manner in which to spend an afternoon, although a bit expensive IMHO.

Cheers!!

Doug

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
One of my best friends is a golf fanatic...plays almost every day at the country club, even had about ten tee boxes and greens with holes installed on his 20 acre property. He flies all over the U.S. just to play golf with his family and friends...but, he's a dentist and he makes obscene amounts of $$$, so he has to get rid of it somehow...

We have another form of golf here in the U.S....disc golf. Same rules as regular golf, but instead of a ball that form of golf uses frisbees (available in varieties known as "drivers", "mid-ranges" and "putters"...equivalents to regular golf's woods, irons and putters)...and instead of a hole in the ground the discs are aimed at a "basket" that stands a couple of feet off the ground. IMHO it is a much more enjoyable form of the "game"...still not ready to call it a sport, though...although there are competitions with lucrative prize amounts for the so-called "winners".

Cheers!!

Doug

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
ut as for whether or not to call it a sport, well, i have my doubts, Keith...
I would encourage and welcome any of you with similar reservations to come walk 18 or 36 with me every day of the week along with a few hours in the gym and working on the range. You will not make it through day two. You might not even make it to day two ;)

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
By way of explanation as regards my view of "The Masters" (or golf in general)...I've never understood why it's necessary to secure and groom 150K acres of land to sink a 1.68" ball into nine, 4.25" holes...or what enjoyment one gets from hitting a ball as hard as one can...then looking for it...and when it's located, hitting it again and looking for it again.

Gimme bowling instead. At least the darned ball comes back to the guy who threw it...each time...every time...all the time. There's no HUNTING (OR WALKING for miles) involved!

Call me crazy...

(Okay, so I'm being somewhat sarcastic. SUE me... ;))

Wuv you, Mikey!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
One's approach to golf is a reflection on their approach to life. One who is petulant and short on patience will do about the same in golf as they do in life. It is not surprising Larry that it does not appeal to you.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
One's approach to golf is a reflection on their approach to life. One who is petulant and short on patience will do about the same in golf as they do in life. It is not surprising Larry that it does not appeal to you.

Well, I thankee for your impromptu psychoanalysis there, Siggy Freud!

Back