TTIP. What is it Exactly?

Keith

UK guys. If you don't know, you should find out. It is being negotiated in secret and has some very serious ramifications for all of us. Yes, it's an EU thing but even if we vote to come out of the damned thing doesn't mean we're still not affected by it. The very thought that foreign firms could sue the NHS if not granted full access to their databases fills me with horror. These are just some of the implications...

Anyway, here's the skinny. There will be other sources but please bear in mind this is an American website so may have a bias...but make no mistake: It is a Big Deal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transatlantic_Trade_and_Investment_Partnership

At very least, it should be debated in open Parliament don't you think?

It isn't going to be unless we get 100,000 signatures before July..

Please attach your John Hancock if you think that TTIP should be subject to the Democratic Process...

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119659

It is a very big deal, and it completely sucks!
I can't sign a petition for you, but I would as should
you all (All 'Yall here).

Thanks Keith for raising this topic. Heard a lot about it of late but no detail, it's good to know and will read up and may sign however on the subject of the petition:
You say to get a debate in the H of P we need 100,000 signatures. Correct me if I'm wrong but such petitions rarely if ever achieve the desired Commons debate? I seem to recollect that only one of many that obtained the necessary signatures has been debated.

Keith

Thanks Keith for raising this topic. Heard a lot about it of late but no detail, it's good to know and will read up and may sign however on the subject of the petition:
You say to get a debate in the H of P we need 100,000 signatures. Correct me if I'm wrong but such petitions rarely if ever achieve the desired Commons debate? I seem to recollect that only one of many that obtained the necessary signatures has been debated.

I think the rules are, that the 100k signature petition has to be 'considered'. But a refusal to debate a contentious issue (such as TTIP) should only serve to reinforce the view that it can't ultimately be good for us. It seems to grant even more power to global corporations which, even now have seem to have more financial and political clout than democratically elected Govts, does not bode well for the future of self governance in general.

From a Govt website. The basic rules of 100k petitions:

Debates

Petitions which reach 100,000 signatures are almost always debated. But we may decide not to put a petition forward for debate if the issue has already been debated recently or there’s a debate scheduled for the near future. If that’s the case, we’ll tell you how you can find out more about parliamentary debates on the issue raised by your petition.
MPs might consider your petition for a debate before it reaches 100,000 signatures.

We may contact you about the issue covered by your petition. For example, we sometimes invite people who create petitions to take part in a discussion with MPs or government ministers, or to give evidence to a select committee. We may also write to other people or organisations to ask them about the issue raised by your petition.
The Petitions Committee

The Petitions Committee can:

• write to you for more information
  • invite you to talk to the Committee in person about your petition – this could be in Parliament or somewhere else in the UK
  • ask for evidence from the Government or other relevant people or organisations
  • press the government for action
  • ask another parliamentary committee to look into the topic raised by a petition
  • put forward a petition for debate
The Petitions Committee is set up by the House of Commons. It comprises up to 11 backbench Members of Parliament from Government and Opposition parties. The number of committee members from each political party is representative of the membership of the House of Commons as a whole.

UNQUOTE

Keith

More TTIP News.

It's quite a fascinating tussle, with the Left and Right intermingled in their opposition. Now, that bastion of Leftishness, Greenpeace, has stuck their oar right in:

TTIP leaked documents could spell the end of controversial trade deal, say campaigners | Europe | News | The Independent

I wouldn't say it's dead and I'm not at all sure it's a terribly bad thing, but what I am sure about is that something of this magnitude should not be "negotiated" in secret..

UK people - sign the petition if you agree....

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119659

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
"The contents of the competing proposals as well as of the reports on TTIP negotiations are CLASSIFIED from the public,<SUP id=cite_ref-Independent_14_August_2015_6-0 class=reference>[6]</SUP> but after a proposed draft was leaked ...subsequently increased security over its secrecy.<SUP id=cite_ref-Independent_14_August_2015_6-1 class=reference>[6]"</SUP>
<SUP></SUP>
<SUP>That tells y'all everything you need to know about it.</SUP>
<SUP></SUP>
<SUP>It's obviously crooked...</SUP>
<SUP></SUP>

Wazzafuckingmatter with you lot, world trade is a war and there are deals going on between the US and Euroland that need to be carried out behind closed doors. We certainly have trading issues with countries outside of the EU , TTIP business may well not be for the ears of Russia or the east. :lipsrsealed:

Bob

Signed. However, so disenchanted with everything even remotely political these days, buying a cabin in the woods very soon. I'll be sure t say ta ta, before I leave.

:)

Back