Just dropping in on friends and family

Reminds me of the old Gurkha story, or possibly myth but with the Gurkha's it's not hard to believe it's true.

A group of Gurkhas from Nepal were asked if they would be willing to jump from transport planes into combat against the Indonesians should the need arise. The Gurkhas had the right to give the request a "thumbs down" because they'd never been trained as paratroopers. Bowden quotes cameraman Neil Davis' account of the story:

Commitment "The Gurkhas usually agreed to anything, but on this particular day they provisionally rejected the plan. But the next day one of their NCOs sought out the British officer who had made the request and said they had discussed it further and would be prepared to jump under certain conditions.

"What are they?" the British officer queried.

"The Gurkhas told him they would jump if the land was marshy or reasonably soft with no rocky outcrops, because they were inexperienced in falling. The officer considered this and noted that the drop zone would almost certainly be over the jungle. No rocky outcrops there. So, they would surely be all right. Anything else?

"Actually, yes," answered the Gurkhas. They wanted the plane to fly as slowly as possible and no more than a hundred feet high. At that point, the British officer explained that the planes always did fly as slowly as possible when dropping troops, but to jump from 100 feet was just impossible. The parachutes would not open in time from that height.

"'Oh,' the Gurkhas replied, 'it's OK then. We'll jump with parachutes anywhere. You didn't mention parachutes before!"

Keith

Reminds me of the old Gurkha story, or possibly myth but with the Gurkha's it's not hard to believe it's true.

A group of Gurkhas from Nepal were asked if they would be willing to jump from transport planes into combat against the Indonesians should the need arise. The Gurkhas had the right to give the request a "thumbs down" because they'd never been trained as paratroopers. Bowden quotes cameraman Neil Davis' account of the story:

Commitment "The Gurkhas usually agreed to anything, but on this particular day they provisionally rejected the plan. But the next day one of their NCOs sought out the British officer who had made the request and said they had discussed it further and would be prepared to jump under certain conditions.

"What are they?" the British officer queried.

"The Gurkhas told him they would jump if the land was marshy or reasonably soft with no rocky outcrops, because they were inexperienced in falling. The officer considered this and noted that the drop zone would almost certainly be over the jungle. No rocky outcrops there. So, they would surely be all right. Anything else?

"Actually, yes," answered the Gurkhas. They wanted the plane to fly as slowly as possible and no more than a hundred feet high. At that point, the British officer explained that the planes always did fly as slowly as possible when dropping troops, but to jump from 100 feet was just impossible. The parachutes would not open in time from that height.

"'Oh,' the Gurkhas replied, 'it's OK then. We'll jump with parachutes anywhere. You didn't mention parachutes before!"

Hahaha that has to be true! Gurkhas are fearless and amongst my favourite military people, which is why I joined Joanna Lumley's campaign for fairer treatment for the Gurkha veterans..

Great story Nick - you have brightened my day :thumbsup:

Back