Florida Storms

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
All over the news here that you are seeing some pretty bad weather over there.
Hurricane Matthew certainly seems to have a lot of unspent energy stored up.

Keep safe guys and let us know you are OK once the storm passes

Ian

Pat

Supporter
Thanks for the kindness checking on us Ian.
It's been a busy couple of weeks. We were in North Carolina and returned to Central Florida just in time for the hurricane. Fortunately our damage (near Disney) was minor and easily repaired. Unfortunately, our two adult children in Jacksonville did not fare quite as well as both had trees down and roof damage. Both lost power for a considerable amount of time so we've been up there helping things get sorted out. Fortunately they now have electricity (and air conditioning!) restored but many in the North Florida area are still without. Beautiful coastal areas like Ponte Vedra and St Augustine were badly flooded and it will take some time before they are back to normal.

We're counting our blessings. Sadly, the Carolinas have apparently fared much worse.

Again, thanks so much for thinking of us.

The rivers in Eastern NC will not crest until Thursday. In 1999 we had another storm that came well inland and dumped feet of of water. That was a 500 year flood level storm. This one will exceed that level, maybe a 1,000 year level. I flew rescue helicopters during that storm and most towns were underwater or cut off. The Interstate highways were covered with overpasses becoming islands in the water. Waste treatment and water treatment facilities were out of service for sometime. Propane tanks were floating free along with caskets that rose from the earth. I think the death count now stands a 11 for the state. It is a shame people don't listen to evacuation orders, but make poor life decisions.
SC really had their evac system in place. I26 had all lanes open going west at on point (reverse lane) and used school buses to relocate those who didn't have cars to move 2 hours inland. I have a place at Isle of Palms on the SC coast that was left in good shape because the storm through came at low-tide.

Back