Diabetes

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I thought I might share something with you all as this could happen to anyone.
About two years ago I was admitted to our local hospital with Urosepsis - a condition which was life threatening at the time. During a long and sometimes difficult recovery the nursing staff took my blood sugar and it read about three to four times the normal adult reading and they pronounced I was diabetic.
I slavishly followed all the ideas (some good , some bad) and succumbed to what I thought was Type 2 Diabetis and all that it entailed.My weight was my first target and the only records had was that was 93kg about 4 years ago. I got it down to 68kg about 4 weeks ago but everyone said I was to skinny so I'm back to 74kg. Now - the BIGGY - I thought about my diabetes and the fact they had checked me during the recovery from Urosepsis. I made a decision to stop
My Insulin and see if I died or suddenly became more ILL
Nothing.
I tried one sugar in my coffee - nothing.
Today is day 6 of no insulin and I decided to confront my GP yesterday. We talked for about an hour and the various readings was getting whilst not on Insulin and he said "let's have a 3 week trial" so I am near the end of week one.
AND STILL NO INSULIN.
Some credits due - my youngest daughter who drove through every red light en route to the hospital when Collapsed with Urosepsis and my wife for tolerating such a bad tempered asshole Had become whils on insulin.

What am I Trying to say: Don't accept first opinions - make sure you have exhaustively every person when it comes to your health. I may have had Type 2 Diabetis but Am surviving with no injections of insulin and although its early days I hope it stays that way. If you have Type 2 , ask again for another diagnosis. It's your life so take control of it again.
Dave M

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Great news David...
I have heard of diabetes being cured or at least held at bay in larger people by the lost of substantial weight. Perhaps some of your weight loss could be attributed?

David,
Congratulations on losing the weight and throwing off the mantel of T2 diabetes. Generally speaking people develop the disease secondary to insulin de-sensitivity. There is a lot of info out there about fasting and re-setting your system. Eat clean, eat less, and live longer. The body spends a LOT of time digesting food instead of fixing itself. So the less you eat, the more energy it can spend taking care of itself.

Like the man says,"Stay healthy my friends!" S

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
David,
The body spends a LOT of time digesting food instead of fixing itself. So the less you eat, the more energy it can spend taking care of itself.

Additionally, the body heals itself primarily during sleep. Eating a lot before going to bed can lead to a whole slate of problems, indigestion, heartburn, etc.

There is an old saying...eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper. There is benefit to going to sleep with a less-than-full stomach, not the least of which is that the body can concentrate on healing itself instead of digesting food.

Cheers to you, David, for being proctive with your medical management. I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic once, only to have that diagnosis removed when I lost 10% of my body weight. I now watch my weight like a hawk, because when I weighed 194 I had a whole lot of medical issues, not the least of which was fatty liver disease (the body tries to disolve the fat in your liver with enzymes, which do not disolve the fat, but do turn it into scar tissue, which is the medical defiinition of cirrhosis...and you REALLY don't want that). I lost down to 170 and my liver enzymes returned to the normal range and I lost a couple of diagnoses, the other of which was "hepatitis", which is just inflamation of the hepatic artery as it enters the liver...again, part of the "fatty liver disease".

I now weigh 147 and have no problem staying at that weight, thanks to the help of a nutritionist. If you haven't seen one of those, David, perhaps you should. The old saying "You are what you eat" really does ring true...DAMNIT!

Doug

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Great news David. Observing the cause/effect of weight/exercise/diabetes, hearing the above stories just reinforces my desire to keep my current weight and exercise routine.

Back