How difficult is it to build a detached garage?

I've been calling around for quotes on a 3 car detached garage expansion and people are trying to tell me $110-$150k. Da faq?

For somebody with limited craftmanship skills, how dificult is it to build a garage? I imagine pieces like electrical and foundation should be subbed out, but the rest should be doable with plans, no?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
1- How much patience do you have, and, 2- how much time do you have...as in; when does it need to be finished vs. how much time you can devote to the build between now and then?

IMHO, "for somebody with limited craftsmanship skills", whatever money you M-I-G-H-T save (or think you'll save) by doing it yourself vs. having a pro do it just wouldn't be worth the frustration. Dealing with the 'gubmunt' alone will drive you up the wall. Seriously. Furthermore, odds are if you do it yourself, "Murphy" will immediately take up residence at your place and 'assist' (read that 'obstruct') at every opportunity.

'Just sayin'...
:chug:

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Need more info than what you furnished. Two story? Living space above? Dimensions? How affluent is the area? I have found that certain zip codes add a premium to any construction. Don't have all your cars at the house when the contractor comes to give you a price.

It all depends on what you want. If you want running water/sewer it really increases the cost. I was going to build a roughly 800 square foot detatched garage, it was a drive-thru type with garage doors on opposite ends. No water or heat, on the side of a hill, so there was a fair amount of cost in the U-shaped drive thru driveway plus retaining walls. $250/square foot....Got f'd over by the city in the permit process so it was never built.

Alex, I imagine you are looking for a structure about 25x40. I don't know what per square foot cost are in Canada, but you should be able to get it done for under $75 PSF complete. Call some pre fab places or metal buildings. You should have under 30 yard of concrete in a 1000 sf 6" slab with 12"wide x 18 deep footings and a couple lolly column pads. Make sure you put 6" wire mesh in the slab and some rebar in the footings. Expect some cracks near the corners, concrete always cracks. The concrete is around $120 a yard. Shop around for labor estimates and ask for referals from other builders. You should be able to get a good concrete contractor that's going to pour you a floor that drains to the doors, etc. Call me if you need some info, I was a builder for 20 years. 520-401-9142. Al

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Pay the extra money to get 5,000 PSI or better concrete in the floor. Also, it would be a great time to put in additional footings for a lift.
Weirsbo in-floor heat for your area is also a good thing to look into. Make sure that you have a good map of where the tubing is - just in case you decide to move your lift to another location.

Back