Photobucket has got greedy

has anyone else been hit with their new ruling, you cant post pics to a 3rd party ie forum etc unless you upgrade to a go pluss acc at $400 a year, from free. talk about inflation WTF.
cheers John

not yet Kaspa, but it probably only a matter of time. Doubt i will be paying that much either for photobucket. Think i would prefer to set up my own web page and run it then i can do what i like.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I got the same email from Photobucket about 3rd party hosting etc.
I have considered becoming a paying subscriber, but not for $400 a year....
In all fairness to them, they have hosted a lot of photos and significant bandwidth for a number of years - all gratis. Yes, it costs money, but I'm afraid they've taken it a bit too far.
Not sure what can be done about the images no longer being available here. It would be a good idea to upload your images in future posts directly to our forum's server.
Another thought ---
What happens to your pictures you ONLY have stored on Photobucket if they decide to cut your limit to something like 100 images stored for free... Then if you want to get at the other two thousand - you have to pay up?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Another thought ---
What happens to your pictures you ONLY have stored on Photobucket if they decide to cut your limit to something like 100 images stored for free... Then if you want to get at the other two thousand - you have to pay up?

...you beat me to it...

Keith

I'm only surprised it's taken them so long. Really sorry to hear that build logs have already been affected...

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
My avatar remains visible on this website, but Photobucket has already disabled it on a music forum on which I participate.
I lost access to my photobucket photos some time ago, so who knows how many of my photos remain?
It's a sad state of affairs, for sure :eek:, although I agree wholeheartedly with Randy when he said Photobucket has been very generous for some time now!

Doug

Cheers? Not for Photobucket

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
How does that work?

HOW TO POST PICTURES ON GT40s.com

My avatar remains visible on this website, but Photobucket has already disabled it on a music forum on which I participate.
I lost access to my photobucket photos some time ago, so who knows how many of my photos remain?
It's a sad state of affairs, for sure :eek:, although I agree wholeheartedly with Randy when he said Photobucket has been very generous for some time now!

Doug

Cheers? Not for Photobucket

Doug - I think when you selected an avatar that was on Photobucket, that it automatically uploaded it to our server. My avatar is also hosted on PB..

All - there are other options for 3rd party hosting, but you run the same risk of a repeat with Photobucket...

See the link I posted above on how to upload pics here...

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Amazon S3 gentlemen it's cheap and easy to host your own static content. Horse meet water:)

Been awhile since I've logged in and wanted to catch up on a bunch of builds only to be disappointed with PB shutting everyone down. Guess I have time to do the things I was supposed to be doing :(

Keith

Dang! Just been hit with PB ransom demand, for that's what it is. It also makes for a very poor business decision as I don't know anyone who will send them $400. That's an outrageous amount and they could have had a much better result with charging, say $50. They say all your photos are still there and can be accessed as normal, so that being the case PB has alienated 100% of it's userbase for nothing as surely there are minimal costs involved in hosting to 3rd parties?

They're not getting that kind of money out of me, a non commercial user so it's time to say goodbye to all those cheeky Paddock posts from Keith 1, Colonel Mustard and Professor Plumpe. It's no biggie but I do feel for the guys that laboriously detailed their build threads using PB hosting, and for sure, this site has lost a lot of it's content at the stroke of some pissant's pen.

If you subscribed to the old add free service which was about $3 a month you got changed to what PB call a plus 20 account. This retains free image hosting until Dec 2018, you then need to upgrade. Other forums are enabling the edit function so folk can go back over old posts and direct download replacement pics . I subscribed to the add free and am hoping that PB backtrack and offer something a little more reasonable by the time Dec2018 arrives.

Bob

Back