Go Back   GT40s.com > >

Notices

The Paddock Enter at your own risk.

Old 11th October 2017, 12:05 PM   #1
wealdenengineer
10 tenths
United Kingdom

VNUK

Look up VNUK, this is the European Commisions requirement that a law be introduced in every EU country that ANY vehicle, which includes ALL motorsport vehicles of every type, inc F1 to MOTOGP to the lowest forms of club sport, must have third party insurance in place . THERE IS NO SUCH INSURANCE AVAILABLE ! There are only a few days left to respond against this totally daft legislation, which could kill the whole motorsport industry in one stroke.
wealdenengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 01:13 PM   #2
Professor Plumpe Moderator
Keith1
School for Scandal
United Kingdom

Re: VNUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wealdenengineer View Post
Look up VNUK, this is the European Commisions requirement that a law be introduced in every EU country that ANY vehicle, which includes ALL motorsport vehicles of every type, inc F1 to MOTOGP to the lowest forms of club sport, must have third party insurance in place . THERE IS NO SUCH INSURANCE AVAILABLE ! There are only a few days left to respond against this totally daft legislation, which could kill the whole motorsport industry in one stroke.
Yes that’s insane Frank. Good job we’re leaving the EU then eh? We (UK) have ‘enjoyed’ a much slacker regime regarding one off car & racing manufacture than almost any of our so-called European ‘partners’. I personally don’t believe this will be imposed upon us as we have a significant industry (and therefore employment) in the motorsports sector. However, it would do no harm at all to rattle their cages, if indeed we had any clue as to who’s cage to rattle. Anyhow, I thought that Adrian Flux provided cover? Thanks for bringing it up Frank..
Old 11th October 2017, 02:46 PM   #3
IanAnderson
Lifetime Premier Supporter
United Kingdom

GT40: Dax 40 Mk1 (Rov

Interesting perspective
New European ruling means changes to insurance law – but do I really need a policy for my lawnmower?

How soon do we leave the EU?
Answer not soon enough!

Perhaps an insurance could be put in place similar to South Africa where 3rd party insurance is included for motor vehicles by a surcharge on fuel.

Ian

Last edited by IanAnderson; 11th October 2017 at 04:26 PM.
IanAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 04:03 PM   #4
wealdenengineer
10 tenths
United Kingdom

As I and many others, including the MSA, understand, it is necessary that all wheeled vehicles , including bicycles, invalid and mobility scooters, farm machinery etc etc must be insured, even if used on private land , the whole thing is typical euro , ( PROBABLY YOUR MOWER AS WELL ! ) How could any insurance company assess the risk, would F1 be as dangerous as destruction car racing, MotoGP be as dangerous as speedway racing, or the little old lady on her 4 mph mobility scooter going to get her pension? If they make it Law, the French will just ignore it, but the UK will kill the biggest and most profitable industrial business streams in the country by complying to the letter.
Old 11th October 2017, 09:17 PM   #5
blueovalz
Skinny Man
United States

GT40: An orange car

Sounds like you guys are way ahead of us yanks in creating rules simply to support "jobs" without any regard as to the practicality of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blueovalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 08:07 AM   #6
jammin man
Silver Supporter
United States

GT40: SPF 2348

This is a simple manifestation of a huge govt bureaucracy run amok. The people of the EU are sacrificing their hard-earned income (via high taxes) at the altar of this government with minimal representation and will continue to suffer the imposition of evermore ridiculous and burdensome rules and regulations that will choke their productivity and individual liberties and freedoms.
jammin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 09:30 AM   #7
Larry L.
United States

GT40: none. YET.

'Twould appear every 'representative'-style government on the planet has a 'select committee' secreted away somewhere whose sole job/purpose is to dream up and instigate 'do-so-because-we-say-so' rules/regulations/laws that have no basis in logic or common sense.

We have more than enough examples of that on the books over here...

Last edited by Larry L.; 12th October 2017 at 10:01 AM. Reason: dyslexic oversight
Larry L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 03:40 PM   #8
blueovalz
Skinny Man
United States

So is there no suspect party on the part of the insurance lobby? The reason I ask is that this appears to be specific in who would benefit, rather than the typical "spend money" government we see for more generalized spending.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 13th October 2017, 12:24 AM   #9
Nick Brough
Bronze Supporter
United Kingdom

GT40: SGT 351W G50

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovalz View Post
So is there no suspect party on the part of the insurance lobby? The reason I ask is that this appears to be specific in who would benefit, rather than the typical "spend money" government we see for more generalized spending.
Terry

From the article it would appear so, possibly I suspect, a reaction to the same no win no fee, ambulance chasers, have you had an accident you are entitled to compensation brigade, who bombard us in this country, with unsolicited phone calls and constant advertising on radio and TV.

I remember my dad, (old school, try to resolve disputes and use litigation as a very last resort), many years ago when solicitors became able to advertise for business in the UK saying it was the beginning of the end for his profession, never knew at the time how right he was.

Last edited by Nick Brough; 13th October 2017 at 12:50 AM.
Nick Brough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 08:32 AM   #10
blueovalz
Skinny Man
United States

Nick, Yes, and so true!

Similar in nature to your sentiment: Over the years my hip has developed some painful issues due to arthritis. With consistent bike riding, and low doses of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine, I would never know I had a problem. But it took 3 separate firm statements to both the orthopedic doctor AND to his surgery scheduler that I did NOT want hip replacement surgery, and did not feel it was needed at this time. When I left his office (their tiny empire), I felt like I'd just walked away from a used car salesman. I'm now worried that he won't renew my anti-inflammatory medicine because it's preventing him from making a lot of money on a procedure. So much for today's medical profession.

Old 14th October 2017, 12:00 PM   #11
jammin man
Silver Supporter
United States

GT40: SPF 2348

Terry, sorry to hear that. As an orthopedic surgeon I will attest that there are cheesy elements in the profession that disgust me with their "salesmanship". Fortunately, you have the option to go somewhere else. I would advise shopping around and choose specifically one who is fellowship trained in hip arthroplasty if/when the time comes. If the current dickweed won't refill your NSAID, your primary doctor probably will
jammin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 02:39 PM   #12
wealdenengineer
10 tenths
United Kingdom

This is moving away from the headline of this thread. the VANUK legislation could have a very real affect on every motorised vehicle , and particularly in respect to all motorsport activities, and I hope will be far too complex to be able to be enforced.
Old 17th October 2017, 05:52 PM   #13
Steve Dean
Rookie
United Kingdom

GT40: MDA Mk1

Frank ....... are you also aware of the changes coming into effect next April with regard to MOT's.
If you own an old vehicle that is pre 1960 and therefore road tax and MOT exempt BUT you have done work on it to increase its power by more than 15% from its original spec then it will go back into the MOT loop.
The hot rod fraternity have just heard about this and you can imagine the concern this is causing.
The un-elected twits in the EU are just on a gravy train of creating/inventing more and more rules that keep them in their highly paid jobs.
Mark my words ...... one day the peasants will revolt and it will not be pretty !
Steve Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 06:02 PM   #14
wealdenengineer
10 tenths
United Kingdom

Steve, No, that's another new one on me! Gets crazier by the day.
Old 18th October 2017, 01:35 AM   #15
ckouba
Bronze Supporter
United States

GT40: RCR40-31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dean View Post
[If] you have done work on it to increase its power by more than 15% from its original spec then it will go back into the MOT loop...
Are they actually going to dyno every registered pre-1960 car?
RCR40 #31
ckouba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 09:54 AM   #16
Larry L.
United States

GT40: none. YET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dean View Post
Frank ....... are you also aware of the changes coming into effect next April with regard to MOT's.
If you own an old vehicle that is pre 1960 and therefore road tax and MOT exempt BUT you have done work on it to increase its power by more than 15% from its original spec then it will go back into the MOT loop.
The hot rod fraternity have just heard about this and you can imagine the concern this is causing.
The un-elected twits in the EU are just on a gravy train of creating/inventing more and more rules that keep them in their highly paid jobs.
Mark my words ...... one day the peasants will revolt and it will not be pretty !
The thing that gets me about governments in general is the fact that they're continually sticking their noses into things about which they know n-o-t-h-i-n-g and passing laws regulating them w/o the slightest thought about - or nod toward - either logic OR common sense.

E.g.: "...(if) you have done work on (a pre-1960 vehicle) to increase its power by more than 15% from its original spec then it will go back into the MOT loop." WHY was "15%" chosen as thee 'guiding light' there? What 'scientific' theory/principle/law was employed to come up with that? As a practical matter, what difference does it make whether the h.p. is 'upped' by 15% or 20% - OR AT ALL for that matter? Most modified pre-'6o vehicles aren't driven more than a few hundred, to perhaps 1 or 2K(?) miles a year. They're weekend TOYS and toys only - NOT daily drivers that rack up tens of thousands of miles per year 'each'. The total annual pollution produced by all of 'em collectively would likely be exceeded by the yearly output of a single diesel transit bus fleet operating in any given 'big city'. $o, given that, why doe$ the government in$i$t it'$ nece$$ary for modified pre-$ixtie$ car$ to meet/pa$$ any environmental reg$/te$t$?

I need my morning coffee...
Larry L. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, motorsport, party, place, vnuk