Notices

The Paddock Enter at your own risk.

Old 14th November 2017, 12:16 PM   #1
Mike Drew
10 tenths
United States

GT40: None, yet!
Electric cars, in a nutshell...

This is the basic truth about electric cars that left-wing environmental nuts canít seem to understand....
Attached Thumbnails
Electric cars, in a nutshell...-99b21423-082b-421a-bd8d-e66e905a43f5-jpeg  
'72 De Tomaso Pantera, '66 Contemporary 427 Cobra, '66 Shelby GT-350 clone, and gearing up for a Superformance Mk 1....
Mike Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 12:43 PM   #2
Big-Foot
Administrator
United States

GT40: Gulf Cart
Re: Electric cars, in a nutshell...

But what the picture doesn’t show is that the ICE car or truck owner has a very restricted number of fuel sources. Almost all of them look like a pump. Almost all pumps are connected to underground tanks. Almost all underground tanks are filled by road-going tankers (which coincidently burn some sort of fossil fuel). Almost all of these tankers fill up at a refinery or distribution hub. ALL refineries consume fuel to crack the crude oil to make fuels. ALL refineries have waste byproducts that are hazardous.
—-
Not all EV and/or hybrid owners and fans are left-wing environmentalists.
—-
I will almost guarantee you that once you strap into a Tesla switched into Ludicrous Mode that you will forget about your preconceived notions and really could care less about where the power is coming from or its fuel source. You will most likely not care that there’s not an ICE in the car that makes all sorts of comforting growling sounds. You will be in lust with the brute strength of the electric motor and will be uttering your own guttural sounds as your eyesight narrows with tunnel-vision from the acceleration...
——
Trust me - I know this to be true...
GT40 RCR40 #45 G50-331-Weber IDAs ((Sold))
My build site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Larry L.
Lifetime Premier Supporter
United States

GT40: none. YET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
...once you strap into a Tesla switched into Ludicrous Mode that you will forget about your preconceived notions and really could care less about where the power is coming from or its fuel source. You will most likely not care that there’s not an ICE in the car that makes all sorts of comforting growling sounds. You will be in lust with the brute strength of the electric motor and will be uttering your own guttural sounds as your eyesight narrows with tunnel-vision from the acceleration

All so very true, Grasshopper...but, it doesn't invalidate Mike's base point: EVs aren't really as "green" as the GW/CC crowd would have us believe.

As regards "preconceived notions" about from where a car's power should be derived: were it not for the uncertainty surrounding just how bad Tesla's production/financial woes are and may yet GET...and the unknowns regarding how the gubmunt intends to hit EVs tax-wise to make up for lost gas tax revenue...and the present/future costs revolving around an EV's battery...a Tesla S P100D would be sitting on the Mrs.' side of the garage right now. (She would probably never utilize its...uh...'potential'...but I might. )

Regardless, my 'hot rods' will continue to be 'ICE'-powered just because. 'Far as I'm concerned, when it comes to hot rods, if one can't HEAR it 3 blocks before one can SEE it - it ain't worth ownin'.

You know what they say about "old dogs"...

Last edited by Larry L.; 15th November 2017 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Dyslexia...
Larry L. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 06:02 PM   #4
JeffYoung
10 tenths
United States

GT40: MOPAR Bisches

the owner of this forum is, literally, off buying a Chevy Volt right now.
JeffYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 09:16 PM   #5
jac mac
I Have No Life
New Zealand

Wink Re: Electric cars, in a nutshell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
the owner of this forum is, literally, off buying a Chevy Volt right now.
Is it going to be his 24hr Le Mons entry??, might need a long cord.
Old 15th November 2017, 12:57 AM   #6
blueovalz
Skinny Man
United States

GT40: An orange car

It's a fine balance of when you charge, what type of car, and regional generator fuels used. In many cases a typical "hybrid" produces less greenhouse gas than a full electric car will when the source of the electric charge is considered. With the increased wind injection into the grid, that will change. The main offender...coal...is economically being replaced by natural gas, which brings the two (hybrid/electric) closer together in comparisons of total emissions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blueovalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 01:53 PM   #7
Mike Drew
10 tenths
United States

GT40: None, yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry L. View Post

Regardless, my 'hot rods' will continue to be 'ICE'-powered just because. 'Far as I'm concerned, when it comes to hot rods, if one can't HEAR it 3 blocks before one can SEE it - it ain't worth ownin'.

You know what they say about "old dogs"...
Amen!

For the record, I have driven a Tesla S. It was very fast but NOT very green, despite what they would have you believe.

FWIW a friend of mine was aggressively recruited by Elon Musk personally to become the head of manufacturing for Tesla (he currently has the same title at a global non-automotive company). The offer was very attractive but in the end, he turned it down because he couldnít get past the idea that Teslas arenít Ďrealí cars.

He has gas running through his veins, like most of us....
'72 De Tomaso Pantera, '66 Contemporary 427 Cobra, '66 Shelby GT-350 clone, and gearing up for a Superformance Mk 1....
Mike Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 03:11 PM   #8
jammin man
Silver Supporter
United States

GT40: SPF 2348

I think I could convert to a Porsche Mission E for a daily driver...
jammin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 03:14 PM   #9
jammin man
Silver Supporter
United States

GT40: SPF 2348

There have been some developments from U of Michigan (I believe) that have doubled solar panel efficiency to somewhere in the mid to upper 30's%. Could make home-based solar more economically viable. My house has a geothermal HVAC and infloor heat everywhere (including the garage). The ROI was about 18 months with the tax credit. Now the house is 1/2 the energy bill for the duration of its existence. All houses should do this. It's a no-brainer. Solar is not there yet. When it is (especially if combined with Musk's solar roof panels that aesthetically look great) it'll be a game-changer. My energy bill will drop another 50-80% and I'll use the stored energy from the panels to charge my car at night.
jammin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 10:53 PM   #10
Larry L.
Lifetime Premier Supporter
United States

GT40: none. YET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin man View Post
I think I could convert to a Porsche Mission E for a daily driver...

Porsche Mission E electric car: price, features, sale date - Business Insider

If all "the press" on them to date has been accurate, they'd be a darned good option, too...but, at the moment they aren't available...'we really don't know when they actually will be...neither do we know what their actual cost will be once all the aforesaid IS known (paragraph #2 of the above article not withstanding).

I really like their looks (I prefer their looks over Tesla's truth be told)...and their 'suicide' rear doors! Porsche just needs to 'step it up a bit' in the 0-60 area!

(Edit: One thing's for sure though...it's not likely Porsche's finances will be of any concern to buyers...)

Last edited by Larry L.; 15th November 2017 at 11:01 PM.
Larry L. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 10:59 PM   #11
Big-Foot
Administrator
United States

GT40: Gulf Cart

Love to hear more about your place Steve....

To be more objective about EVs and Hybrids, I pretty much through all the GREEN-BS out the window... The point I was trying to make earlier was that there is a heckuva lot more emissions attributed to ICE power than most people are willing to grasp.
All that said - the EV is back and I donít think it is going to go away again....

My old Honda Hurricane EV conversion. It would scare the heck out of you if I program the controller for a full 450 amp acceleration curve. Zero to 60 in under 4 seconds with a 200# rider. Iíve stripped this bike and will put the motor, etc in a much lighter Kawasaki 600zx chassis..
Attached Thumbnails
Electric cars, in a nutshell...-7b3452b6-3133-4c7b-877e-08300beeae24-jpeg  
GT40 RCR40 #45 G50-331-Weber IDAs ((Sold))
My build site:
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cars, electric, environmental, left-wing, nuts