No tool engine removal

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
WOW! What a violent “extraction”!

Tractor pulls are a fairly common event in the area where I live...almost every county fairground has one.

Never saw that happen, though :eek: !

Cheers!!!

Doug

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Many of those tractor pulls are in closed in stadiums and have a lot of people within reach of the shrapnel... It won’t be long now....

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Holy crow!!!!! Can you imagine the force it took to launch that bazillion ton engine like that???

'Darned good thing for the driver the engine decided to 'launch' foreword.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Holy crow!!!!! Can you imagine the force it took to launch that bazillion ton engine like that???

'Darned good thing for the driver the engine decided to 'launch' foreword.

I am reminded of Newton’s 3rd law of physics...for each action there is an equal and opposite reaction. So...whatever energy level it took to expel that huge lump of iron would also have created a huge “opposite” force toward the cab of that truck. I would not have wanted to be in that cab!!!

Cheers!

Doug

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I am reminded of Newton’s 3rd law of physics...for each action there is an equal and opposite reaction. So...whatever energy level it took to expel that huge lump of iron would also have created a huge “opposite” force toward the cab of that truck. I would not have wanted to be in that cab!!!

Cheers!

Doug

Aaaaaaaah...but, the engine appears to have launched up and slightly forward...so, the opposite force should have been down and slightly rearward...IOW, the "opposite" energy should have been expelled beneath and away from (slightly to the rear of) the driver.........yes...no...mebbe so??? 'Darned if I know...but, I'd wager the driver had no need for a laxative for at least the next six months regardless.

Anyway, my own cowardly self wouldn't have wanted to have been within 50 yards of that sucker in any direction when it blew!

(Edit: Uh...anyone know were the pistons went? I can't see a single one of them sitting atop any of the cylinders! Of course, the smoke doesn't help any...)

Last edited:

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
I wondered where the head went...I could see what I thought were 6 inline cylinders (a lot of smoke kept me from seeing if there were pistons in them), but not a cylinder head.

OK, so I did some digging...lots of folks think that the part that flies out of the truck's engine compartment is just the cylinder head with the associated turbos...not the block. That would make sense because whatever parts were "launched" seem to have been launched upwards. The hood was the first part of the truck to give way.

It would also bode well for whoever was in the truck's cab...the "equal and opposite reaction" would have been "aimed" downward, not back toward the cab.

Some of the folks who commented thought the individual inside the glass cab behind the truck might have been driving from that position...does anyone think that's the way that creation was made, or is the individual in that glass enclosure on the "sled"...I've never seen a tractor pull with a person on the sled.

Here is one comment I found interesting (and humorous): "In rocket engineering we call that a RUD. Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly." There were a LOT more humorous comments, as you can imagine. IIRC the comments were on a YouTube link, but I don't often "RC".

It doesn't matter....it all looks WAAAAY too dangerous for this bald headed ol' fart!

Cheers!

Doug

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
OK, so I did some digging...lots of folks think that the part that flies out of the truck's engine compartment is just the cylinder head with the associated turbos...not the block. That would make sense because whatever parts were "launched" seem to have been launched upwards. The hood was the first part of the truck to give way.

B'golly - I think you (and the others who thought the same) nailed it! :2thumbsup: If one could "stop action" the darned video, that would likely have been EASY to discern.

I myself was wondering where the heck the tranny went. At least part of it should have been attached to the "block".

'Bet any 'big rig' diesel mechanic would have known what was what instantly regardless...

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
To me it looks like that the block broke horizontally in two, just below the cylinder head and the cylinder liner with the top of the block is still attached to the cylinder head.....

Fellas, fellas, you are having the wool pulled over your eyes. What appears to be a show-stopping explosion in the video posted at the opening of the thread is merely CGI computer graphics. There are a numerous mistakes: like the grandstand crowd on the right not reacting to the huge explosion, the black exhaust smoke exiting from the top of the hood was poorly done, the white smoke on the ground around the thrown engine suddenly gets sucked away to where ? The camera filming this would not have 'Jolted' as it did, that's from the 'Hollywood CGI Effects 101' instruction book. Think for a minute of the popular action movies like Iron Man, Doctor Strange and Avengers and and then watch the video again.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Fellas, fellas, you are having the wool pulled over your eyes. What appears to be a show-stopping explosion in the video posted at the opening of the thread is merely CGI computer graphics. There are a numerous mistakes: like the grandstand crowd on the right not reacting to the huge explosion, the black exhaust smoke exiting from the top of the hood was poorly done, the white smoke on the ground around the thrown engine suddenly gets sucked away to where ? The camera filming this would not have 'Jolted' as it did, that's from the 'Hollywood CGI Effects 101' instruction book. Think for a minute of the popular action movies like Iron Man, Doctor Strange and Avengers and and then watch the video again.

Sorry Vinny but I’m not buying it.... There’s too much detail in the engine components and their movement that a graphic artist just wouldn’t have a grasp of...
If what you say is true, then all of these could be fake...
TRACTOR PULLING Intro of "THUNDER PULLING 12" - YouTube

It’s just not realistic to pay thousands of dollars (which is what it would cost) for a graphic artist to fake it... To what end and what monetary motivation?

Back