The I hate the Politics Thread - thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rod you are mistaken. The Paddock is not a politics forum. It is a place for all things other than car stuff. Things like jokes, interesting pictures, interesting travels etc. It has become a home for disgruntled, politically disappointed jerks who fill the Paddock with their drivel and boring opinions.

Re: GT40s.com Paddock Politics Thread

Sorry. I skipped a line. "It is Paddock Politics thread that was added"Is what the line was suppose to say.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Sorry Bud, the paddock and the forum in total is a place for that as evident by the nasty vitriol that is left unchecked. There are no threats of banning after pages and pages of bitterness, pejorative trolling and name calling, not until someone comes into the thread and stands up to this nonsense. Then it's stop or else which is immediately followed by more bitterness, pejorative trolling and name calling from the same individuals and no moderation. I'm done with the thread and done with the forum. There are many valued friendships around a shared passion for cars and GT40s in particular that I don't want to lose. I am hopeful I'll be able to carry on those friendships outside of this forum. I also hope one day the garbage can be cleaned up and the community restored to what it was when I became a supporting member... a focus on GT40s minus all the worthless tripe found today.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Please delete this thread as I find it just as distasteful as the politics thread you took this from. I will not be posting in either going forward. You win.

I am no fan of the politics thread and it has had the effect of making me much more negative about America. Some of the opinions expressed in it sadden me deeply.
How easily some have been manipulated and how unwilling they are to look for alternative sources and viewpoints astounds me.
Some of the people in that thread have, I believe, deliberately and consistently misinterpreted the words of others (including mine on a couple of occasions) to move the conversation even further towards their extremist view of the world.

However:

In the main it is a single thread. With only a few unfortunate exceptions people have kept their opinions in that thread.
I occasionally look at it to see just how far down the rabbit hole it has gone, but when I do so I understand the nightmare world I am about to enter and if I wish to avoid it it is easy. I see people poking the dragon in there for fun occasionally and the response can sometimes be pretty funny.
The rest of the paddock does not seem to me to be unduly affected by it except when one of them canÂ’t contain themselves and they have to make a noise outside the walls of the politics thread asylum - I would like to see that stop.

I don’t really understand why people are so angry about that thread. IMO the forum went through a time when it was much worse - it seemed for a while that Fox ‘News’ had taken over the entire forum, certainly the paddock, now for the most part you can avoid it pretty easily.
In fact I wish the anti-science thread could be moved into it as well.

Tim.

I am no fan of the politics thread and it has had the effect of making me much more negative about America. Some of the opinions expressed in it sadden me deeply.
How easily some have been manipulated and how unwilling they are to look for alternative sources and viewpoints astounds me.
Some of the people in that thread have, I believe, deliberately and consistently misinterpreted the words of others (including mine on a couple of occasions) to move the conversation even further towards their extremist view of the world.

However:

In the main it is a single thread. With only a few unfortunate exceptions people have kept their opinions in that thread.
I occasionally look at it to see just how far down the rabbit hole it has gone, but when I do so I understand the nightmare world I am about to enter and if I wish to avoid it it is easy. I see people poking the dragon in there for fun occasionally and the response can sometimes be pretty funny.
The rest of the paddock does not seem to me to be unduly affected by it except when one of them canÂ’t contain themselves and they have to make a noise outside the walls of the politics thread asylum - I would like to see that stop.

I don’t really understand why people are so angry about that thread. IMO the forum went through a time when it was much worse - it seemed for a while that Fox ‘News’ had taken over the entire forum, certainly the paddock, now for the most part you can avoid it pretty easily.

Tim.

Very well said Tim, in my opinion ;)

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Yes, exactly.

Odd that Bud and Mike only complain now about the politics in the paddock when there are voices other than those on the right here. Back when it was a cesspool of essentially right wing view points ONLY, that was all fine and good. Pat on the back, haha, misogyny, racism, anti-Islam stuff a-ok!

No one told them back then that those kind of posts were not ok. We -- mostly JimC and myself -- just added a different viewpoint.

Now that the paddock is balanced, the Buds and Mikes of the world can't handle. Oh my gerd! Another view point!

Sad really.

Keith

Sorry Bud, the paddock and the forum in total is a place for that as evident by the nasty vitriol that is left unchecked. There are no threats of banning after pages and pages of bitterness, pejorative trolling and name calling, not until someone comes into the thread and stands up to this nonsense. Then it's stop or else which is immediately followed by more bitterness, pejorative trolling and name calling from the same individuals and no moderation. I'm done with the thread and done with the forum. There are many valued friendships around a shared passion for cars and GT40s in particular that I don't want to lose. I am hopeful I'll be able to carry on those friendships outside of this forum. I also hope one day the garbage can be cleaned up and the community restored to what it was when I became a supporting member... a focus on GT40s minus all the worthless tripe found today.

One has always carried the hope that it could be self policed. Heavy moderation or the need for is a fail either way..

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter

Tim.

I agree, Tim! When that thread started I contributed a bit, but it was obvious that the purpose of the thread was just to bash science (purportedly because of the "money" scientists earn...but do they, really?). Recently the bashing of scientists has stopped a lot, but science in general is still being bashed about a bit.

It'll be interesting to see how the Paddock "grows", changes, responds to new topics, etc.

Cheers!

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back