Will There Be a Paddock on the New GT40s.com?

Ron Earp

Admin
Will there? I don't know. If we didn't have a paddock more than a few of you would have a hell of a lot more time on your hands, that's for certain. I'm a bit conflicted if we should continue with the paddock.

If we do have a paddock I want it to be password entry only. And, I'd like for it to not be a time sink for stewards of the forum, ie, little moderation. And, if you jump in the paddock and complain about the paddock then you get banned from the paddock permanently. How would that work with little moderation? I'm sure one of the paddock denizens would report to an admin someone complaining about the paddock. Police thy self.

If we don't have a paddock, well, we don't have one. Not sure what the downside is here. Some of you would never post on GT40s.com again but that isn't a worry.

Discuss.

Imo the paddock should continue.
It would be good if it didnÂ’t show up in todayÂ’s posts/new posts, ie:
have to enter the paddock to see anything there.
I donÂ’t think it needs anything more stringent than that.

If you have high stress threads like the politics thread I think moderators should be chosen carefully - no one with a strong political bias for instance - preferably people who have shown general good humour - I submit Keith as an outstanding example.

I also argue for the resumption of single threads that contain subjects like US politics as otherwise I fear they will infect the whole forum again by baby steps.

Not sure how I feel about the perma ban for complaints idea. If someone is a serial complainer and does so about (truly) petty stuff or posts that are responses to their own provocation then perhaps they should be treated more harshly.

That last issue reÂ’ provocation (trolling) seems to me to have been prevalent in recent times in the politics thread and lead to some reactions/actions that I believe were not well considered.
Trying to troll someone into getting banned (or some other trouble) should be a bannable offence.
Moderators on various games and forums I have looked at seem unable to see what seems obvious to almost everyone else - trolling is bad and trolls should be banned FOR TROLLING - too often their victims suffer the consequences and the troll gets what they wanted.

Tim.

Can’t edit only a couple of minutes later...

I should add that the usual reason given for why the troll doesn’t get banned is because “they didn’t break a rule” - vindictive trolling should be deemed a breaking of the rules no matter how it is engineered.

Tim.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
'Will state again what I've said before on this topic. At the top of the Paddock's 'face page' 'tis stated:

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr valign="bottom"><td> </td><td width="100%">GT40s.com > Non-Motorhead Discussion (my 'red') </td></tr><tr><td class="navbar" style="padding-top: 1px; font-size: 10pt;" colspan="3"> The Paddock

...below which one sees:

</td></tr></tbody></table>The Paddock ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK. (my caps)

'Seems pretty self-explanatory to me: "Sensitive" individuals should avoid it like the plague.

Regardless, that having been said; 4-letter language, name calling, and personal insults are junior high school 'chest beating' tactics that get real old real fast and aren't at all well tolerated by most folks in the adult world. They ought to be verboten. How that might be enforced with "little moderation" is a complete mystery to me, however.

Aside from that..........................'run whatcha brung'...so to speak.

- Mr. Purfeckt

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
If the paddock is made password entry only what about moving the jokes thread out of the paddock?

Well said Nick

I would keep the paddock in about the format it is, and move the devisive threads, like Politics, Guns, religion into the password protected section.

Ian

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
I would keep the paddock in about the format it is, and move the devisive threads, like Politics, Guns, religion into the password protected section.

Exactly what Ian said... plus ensure that posts in the password-protected section don't appear in the New Posts feed.

The GT40 forum is a car forum. There was not a place for the crap by non car guys for political, religious, and personal attacks. I have checked a number of other car forums and none of them permit, tolerate and promote the nonsense that we just terminated.

There is a small number of people on this forum that want to spend too much time with non car, highly inflammatory conversations. I would suggest that these people go find the appropriate political forum where nothing but this type of diatribe is standard and encouraged.

To be perfectly clear, I say a car forum is for car stuff. Having a password protected ideological thread has no place here. Take your smears, personal attacks and far whatever manifestos some place else, PLEASE!

I agree with Tom.. Ron, what about posting a link/links for various forums. The member will then be forwarded to the desired link, no moderation required on your end, and the forum member gets to a place where others share his/her interest. Sounds like a win/win to me.

Walt

Well said Nick

Ian

Ian Seems a sensible excellent idea to me.

The GT40 forum is a car forum. There was not a place for the crap by non car guys for political, religious, and personal attacks. I have checked a number of other car forums and none of them permit, tolerate and promote the nonsense that lwe just terminated.
!

Tom seems a shame to get rid of something that has been in place for years, and that you do not have to view if you don't want to. Even more so if you have to specifically obtain a password to go to it. For what it's worth I belong to a number of car forums admittedly most of them British, and all of them have threads similar to the paddock. Again for what's it is worth if it comes in that you need a password and I hope it does, ( not as much as the current Mrs Brough though ;)?) I will not be obtaining one my self hence my vested interest in getting the jokes page ( the most viewed thread) moved. In my opinion you can never have to much laughter in your life :)

FWIW I like the paddock just as it is.

For that matter, I like GT40s.com just as it is too. Why does there have to be a ‘new’ one?

Ron Earp

Admin
As to why a new one, you can read those threads in the Site Suggestions subforum but basically this software is old, it requires a lot of work, and time has passed it by.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
The more I read, the more I like the password protected idea. I will say, though (and this is mostly contrary to what I hear others stating) I'd like for the new posts in the password protected section to be referenced on the "New Posts" option, just like other new posts. Even if they do show up in the New Posts, there's still no requirement that they be read...nor for that matter, even an option for anyone who hasn't signed up for their "Password".

Cheers to Ron for keeping the forum current!

Doug

Last edited:
Why not create a second Paddock forum that is password protected. The administrators would then decide which Paddock forum a post belonged in...

Howard Jones

Supporter
Either drop it all together or don't restrict it at all.

However...……. I have a second less attractive position (to me) and that is restrict all political (including guns) social, and religious threads from the paddock as well as other pages/ discussion categories.

Why? We simple don't need them. The value of GT40s is the technical and resource information as well as the build logs which may be the most valuable, especially to home builders. The discussion's about Obama, Trump, guns, etc. don't add value to the core asset and frankly don't add viewers with questions and helpful information related to our core subject and interest...…….GT40s, other mid engine prototypes, and home built high performance street and track cars.

Now, I personally would miss the jokes and the other interesting news/subjects such as the aviation related perspective that a few members have added to aircraft centric threads from time to time. The other threads that I tend to drift off to from time to time are interesting funny takes on life that defy description but we all know what they are.

On the whole I would advise that you keep the fun and informative stuff and drop the divisive threads. After all there are countless other forums for the religious, political, and social subjects.

Ron. You know how much I value this forum. If it's in the best interest of the forum then I trust you to make the best decision you can.

Back