p2285 UFO and Playmates . . .

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Did you recognize the voice-over ? It was Richard Burton; you know, the one that married Elizabeth Taylor twice.

IMG_2035.JPG

WIKI says:
In 1978, Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds was released, achieving international success. Wayne's two-disc composition sold millions of copies around the world and was the 40th best selling album of all time in the UK by 2009. It included worldwide hit singles: "The Eve of the War" and "Forever Autumn" with vocals performed by Justin Hayward in both, and included narration throughout by Richard Burton. It won two Ivor Novello Awards and The Best Recording in Science Fiction and Fantasy (the judges included Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and Alfred Hitchcock). "The Eve of the War" was used by the offshore radio station Radio Delmare as its theme tune. The album was re-released on SACD in 2005 audio CD; five tracks were remastered and placed on the second disc (mostly without Wayne's input). A Limited Edition 7-disc Collector's Edition CD and DVD box set, which included remixes, outtakes, and documentary, was issued in 2005.

Soulcoaxer says, the audio program, with Richard Burton, including many other voice actors, and especially the Moody Blues band featuring Justin Hayward song was truly amazing. The orchestration was top notch.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I lave that album.
Actually went to opening night of the show in the London Theatre where Jeff Wayne conducted the proceedings that day and having the rock band and full orchestra playing at the same time in a live show was amazing!

Ian

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
I lave that album.
Actually went to opening night of the show in the London Theatre where Jeff Wayne conducted the proceedings that day and having the rock band and full orchestra playing at the same time in a live show was amazing!

Ian

Wow Ian! Glad to hear that someone I know was able to attend that London event. There were many events and shows, like Elvis in Vegas, that I deprived myself from experiencing during a several year period all in the name of my start-up business that began just after Elvis' death in Aug. 1977.

BTW, neither my CD set nor WIKI made mention of the orchestra's name. Usually, that information is anxiously expressed. Can you remember which orchestra it was? Perhaps it was a group of musicians assembled by Jeff Wayne.

If you still have the vinyl copy, it must be worth some coin now. Thanks for sharing that adventure.

All Good Things, Robert

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Wow Ian! Glad to hear that someone I know was able to attend that London event. There were many events and shows, like Elvis in Vegas, that I deprived myself from experiencing during a several year period all in the name of my start-up business that began just after Elvis' death in Aug. 1977.

BTW, neither my CD set nor WIKI made mention of the orchestra's name. Usually, that information is anxiously expressed. Can you remember which orchestra it was? Perhaps it was a group of musicians assembled by Jeff Wayne.

If you still have the vinyl copy, it must be worth some coin now. Thanks for sharing that adventure.

All Good Things, Robert

Actually was a bit of a fluke!
I was on the mailing list of a theatre group.
Got an e mail saying the show was starting on xxxxxx date and as a subscriber I could get discount tickets. So I booked them at about 50% front row of the circle.

I had no idea it was a red carpet job with Jeff conducting till we got there on the night and had to push through the press scrum!

Great evening

Ian

Back