24 Hours of Le Mans this weekend!

All,

Don’t forget the race is this weekend. In the USA we will get flag-to-flag coverage (for the first time ever I think?) on the Velocity network. Race begins at 9 a.m. eastern time. :thumbsup:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Yep...watching it right now.

I’m not seeing any racecars that resemble our beloved 40s...in fact, many of the purpose-built cars seem to have what looks like a long vertical “tail” that stretches from the cockpit to the rear wing. Is that just a support for the wing, or is it an aerodynamic feature to promote straight line stability at high speed?

Lots of Porsches, though.

OK...just saw a 40 of some kind in the mix :thumbsup:

Cheers!!!

Doug

Howard Jones

Supporter
The pro GT class is some of the best racing I've seen at Le Mans in a long time. Great stuff the Porsche is leading but the Fords are coming! +22Hrs to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it’s a Super Prius 1-2...:laugh:

I missed the last few hours of the race, waking up just before the finish. When I went to bed the #8 Alonso car was well in arrears but this morning they are atop the podium. Did the team tactically make ‘mistakes’ to earn penalties for the #7 car to allow the #8 into the lead?

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
During the night Alonso drove a quadruple stint and cut 90 seconds out, later Nakajima closed the gap and finally overtook #7.
On top #7 missed the last pit stop and had to slow down to not run out of fuel. The pit stops are mandatory so they also got a penalty.....

Chris Kouba

Supporter
...many of the purpose-built cars seem to have what looks like a long vertical “tail” that stretches from the cockpit to the rear wing. Is that just a support for the wing, or is it an aerodynamic feature to promote straight line stability at high speed?

Yep, you got it. It's been around for quite some time at this point but it's for straight line stability, specifically if they start to swap ends.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks, Chris!!

Cheers from Doug :thumbsup:

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Did anyone catch the antics with the Rothmans liveried 911 and the FGT with Bourdais at the wheel? I think a lead car forcing a passing car off the road or zigging and zagging all over is fine for amateur hour, but I fail to see where it belongs in a pinnacle event like this. I thought it was poor form of the FIA/ACO to do nothing.

Most of that zigging and zagging was to break the tow on the straights (FGT didn't have the straight line speed otherwise), I would classify the remaining manoeuvres as robust!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Yep...watching it right now.

I’m not seeing any racecars that resemble our beloved 40s...in fact, many of the purpose-built cars seem to have what looks like a long vertical “tail” that stretches from the cockpit to the rear wing. Is that just a support for the wing, or is it an aerodynamic feature to promote straight line stability at high speed?

Lots of Porsches, though.

OK...just saw a 40 of some kind in the mix :thumbsup:

Cheers!!!

Doug

Doug and Chris

Yes the tails have been around a number of years.
They were almost banned a while back as when the car does get sideways the tail acts as a wind stop and causes the sliding wheels now at the front of direction of travel to be lifted of the ground meaning the sliding car skims across the “kitty litter” put there to cause the cars to slow down.

Perfectly seen in the McNish accident.
AUSmotive: Allan McNish crash Le Mans 2011 (HD) - YouTube

Ian

Back