Medicaid and Texas

So doctors drop out of the system. They had to pay their education, their mal practice insurance and need the money to continue their lives.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
A few years ago, my family spent a week at Christmas time in southern Texas with my wifes sister (outside Brownsville).

When we were there they took us across the border into Mexico as my sister-inlaw needed some dental work and wanted to fill a perscription. When we got to the border, there were literally hundreds of good US Citizens going to Mexico for similar reasons as she said everyone goes there as it is much "cheaper than in Texas".

So we have good US Citizens crossing the border for ECONOMIC reasons, taking jobs from US Dentists, Doctors, Pharmacists and of course cheating the US and Texas out of their needed tax $

I posted this some time back, I know this accounts for a large "REDUCTION OF PAYMENTS TO DOCTORS"

Last edited:
Read the article and than come back and post that crap. Listen all I was saying was that once this Obamacare goes into affect PLENTY of doctors are going to drop out and HERE WE ARE. Look at it like this ... Would you work for free?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Damian,

What part of what I said was "crap"

You seem very concerned about the Doctors in Texas and their reduction in income. I thought I could help. Maybe we can build a wall or somthing to keep these people out of Mexico.

Last edited:
Visited never lived. I have heard enough horror stories about a single payer system to make me realize that it is NOT GOOD.Lets see the ISLE of MAN was dropped : http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/letters/No-NHS-cover-in-the.5967167.jp another little snippet about the current state of the NHS: ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10557996 ) . If you read the article you will see how they are starting to adopt WESTERN practices and even OPENING the door for PRIVATE INVESTMENT Here is a good quote "He also said he would be relaxing the rules which cap the amount of income a trust can make outside the NHS, opening the door to them seeing more private patients" if all was golden why the need? Oh lets see how many times have we heard about the horrid practice of rationing in england / most of Europe that has caused most people of means to COME to the U.S. FOR TREATMENT. If single payer was as good as some claim than why doesn't the opposite happen? Why has the U.S. been on the for front of discovery? I don't think that anyone would argue that medicine and treatment in general is far greater here than anywhere else in the world. Mexico may be cheaper for getting your teeth cleaned but would you go there for a heart transplant, how about a liver transplant? How many horror stories do you hear about implant jobs going arie because of shady doctors across the border (if they even have a real license)?

Now as far as a wall goes just let me know where to send my contribution. I have an AMERICAN CITIZEN that landscapes my house and my mechanic is also an AMERICAN CITIZEN. IMHO If you didn't come here legally than you shouldn't be entitled to any of our benefits period. How about those slime that come here and work our system only to send the money BACK to their country of origin. I know of two maids that made enough here to go back to their original country (where they were sending their money the whole time) and hire maids themselves. Oh I could go on and on about the cockroaches known as illegal immigrants but that is not what this thread is about.

Jim I misread and than misunderstood your quote and I apologise for that.I actually agree with you. As far as Mexico goes I have a special feeling about the hypocrite in charge south of our border but that is another story.

Last edited:
I also have family that live in Europe and every single one of them and thier friends COME HERE for treatment. Now I am not talking about going for a physical.

To all our cousins across the pond would any of you care to enlighten us as to the economic impact that your current health care system has had on your country considering that it is roughly 40% of the GDP?

Last edited:
I also have family that live in Europe and every single one of them and thier friends COME HERE for treatment. Now I am not talking about going for a physical.

To all our cousins across the pond would any of you care to enlighten us as to the economic impact that your current health care system has had on your country considering that it is roughly 40% of the GDP?

Damian,

Despite the cost, I think you will find the majority of people in the UK, including our current conservative prime minister David Cameron, have total support for the NHS.

From the Independent

When will the NHS be given the praise it is due?

Results of the annual Care Quality Commission Survey, which looked at responses from 72,000 patients who had spent one or more nights in an NHS hospital in 2008, were reported in your article "A diagnosis of the NHS – by its patients" on 14 May.

The article, tucked away in the middle of your paper, highlights problems that "persist", but right at the end contains the incredible figure that 93 per cent of patients admitted to an NHS hospital rate their overall care as good, very good or excellent. How close to 100 per cent does this figure have to be to make the front page?

David cameron invoked the memory of his late son, Ivan, today as he defended the Tories' commitment to the NHS.

Bruised by the transatlantic row over the health service, in which a Tory MEP dismissed the NHS as a "60-year mistake", Cameron described it as a "fantastic and precious fact of British life".

During a speech in Bolton, Cameron made clear that the NHS had transformed his family's life after Ivan was born in April 2002 with cerebral palsy and epilepsy.

Cameron said: "The moment you're injured or fall ill, the moment something happens to someone you love, you know that whoever you are, wherever you're from, whatever's wrong, however much you've got in the bank, there's a place you can go where people will look after you and do their best to make things right again." The Tory leader did not mention Ivan, who died in February aged six. But Tory sources said he had Ivan in mind when he spoke of "someone you love".

Cameron has spoken of how his experience of the NHS had a significant impact on him. In the first few weeks after Ivan's birth, the Camerons took it in turns to sleep beside their son in hospital.

Cameron used his speech to face down the Tory right by saying their demands to cut NHS spending would be a "step backwards". If the Tories win the next election they will increase NHS spending in line with inflation from 2011-14.

"The moment you're injured or fall ill, the moment something happens to someone you love, you know that whoever you are, wherever you're from, whatever's wrong, however much you've got in the bank, there's a place you can go where people will look after you and do their best to make things right again."

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Canadians and French express similar satisfication with their systems.

The only issue, in my view, is cost. We are at a problem point with our debt, and converting to single payer would not, at first, be cheap. May not be feasible, but in terms of (over time) providing the best care to the most people at the least cost, the numbers pretty clearly stack up in favor of single payer.

No worries.

The SCOTUS will rule that obamacare is unconstitutional when the suit that several of the states are bringing, arrives on their front steps.

The argument that the commerce clause allows the US Congress to shove that up our collective asses is asinine.

Further any lawyer or otherwise who is not versed in contitutional law and tries to tell you different, should really send their law degree back to Wal-Mart or the other two bit university that they got it from.

Or, the coming conservative republican majority can simply refuse to fund it, in accordance with the will of the majority of americans I might add.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
You could make your arguments without being quite so vitriolic and offensive, and this lawyer (who has tried an Establishment Clause case and won, and who was heavily involved in a First Amendment restriction on distribution case) might be more willing to listen to you.

The majority of constitutional scholars who have tried to look at it objectively have concluded it probably will withstand the constitutional challenge to it, although it is not a slam dunk. Short and not very in depth discussion here, but it captures the gist of the arguments for constitutionality and why they probably will prevail:

Health care reform is constitutional - Erwin Chemerinsky - POLITICO.com

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I think someone forgot to take their meds...........

Jeff,

You fight the good fight, do not let the turkeys get you down. Its hard to believe that in this day and age that anyone could be so certain about anything like this.

Although there is a chance he is right, I have a great big crow here for him to eat when he's wrong.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
It is amazing what people fire off on the internet. They guy obviously doesn't want to talk about the constitutional debate over the Health Care Reform Act, he just wants to draw attention to himself by saying over the top stuff.

And I'm a facilitator because I responded. It's definitely true that if you just ignore the noise -- because you can't change it -- it generally collapses under its own weight.

Back