I have changed my status....

I have been holding back on this post until it finally got here and today..... It arrived. After 15 years of dreaming and many years posting silly question on this forum I was finally able to find the Superformance I wanted. As some of you may or many not remember I started looking a while ago and really stepped it up after I saw Dean's red Superformance go; I was literally 1 day late.

Long story short, I had been attempting to purchase the RHD car that has been on ebay for sometime but we could not agree on price (see post about market price of gt40); let's just say that car is going to be for sale for a long time.

I then found a car for sale out in NY that had a better motor and trans (at least in my mind), but it unfortunately didn't have RHD. It did have a 366ci motor with 560hp that runs to 7500rpm and a ZFQ which met my criteria. I therefore decided that while the car was not as "racy" as I thought i wanted and the car was LHD, it was the one for me. I made a deal that was the right intersection between a buyer and a seller, it was a little more than I wanted to spend but it was okay for me.

In any event, a little about the car. It was built in 2008 and purchased from Dennis where it was then worked on by two individuals in NY. The previous owner wanted a car that looked like a road car one could purchase in the 60's while having the reliability of a modern car. Therefore it has efi with a FAST system and the previously mentioned ZFQ and a 3.77 rear end. The previous owner also spent a fair amount of time debugging he car over the last 700 miles so I am hoping it is at least a little reliable. Truthfully I am in love with it.*

Unfortunately I have not been able to spend much time with the car yet but will post my experience after driving it around this coming weekend.*

One note, i want to say thank you for all the help I have received in the past. Specifically to Alan Watkins and Jac Mac who were always willing to help with all my questions.*

Kevin *

One picture from the sale ad, i don't have any on my computer yet

Attachments

• GT40-buzzetta-ny.jpg
    GT40-buzzetta-ny.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:
Life is all about compromise, & I think having LHD ( in the USA ) & EFI on a car that will spend a lot of street time will end up being major plus factors.
Great to see you get most of the box's ticked with this one...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Life is all about compromise, & I think having LHD ( in the USA ) & EFI on a car that will spend a lot of street time will end up being major plus factors.
Great to see you get most of the box's ticked with this one...

X-2 on all of what Jac Said...

LHD in USA is going to keep you and your passenger a LOT safer..

Beautiful car! :thumbsup:

Chet Schwer

Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Kevin! I had that car on my watch list before my purchase. I just did not really want another blue SPF and went with red.

Lovely stance on the car.....it just looks right. Great buy since both parties appear to be happy. I agree with the others too about the LHD and EFI. I think you'll grow to love them both. More photos please and get out there and drive it like you stole it.

Thank you all for the comments, I am very excited.

I agree that life is about compromise and truthfully this car was not much of a compromise. In the post above I was attempting to illustrate my decision criteria and what occurred over the past 9 months of searching. Overall the car is exceeding my expectations and the FI is a big with for me.

With that said, I do have a couple of questions (with what I am sure is more to come):

Fan Override: Apparently the radiator fans are controlled by the FAST engine management system and therefore the switch is not connected. I assume this is normal but is it?

Engine Shut Off: The very nice semi driver that brought the car here explained that when turning off the car one should rev the motor to 2K and then turn it off rather than letting it idle and turning off the car. His explanation was that this process would mean that fuel does not pool in the carbs and load them up.... I think he saw the stacks and assumed it had webbers and not FI. Therefore I do not believe I need to do that but I figured I would validate here.

Fuel Pump Switch: Do I need to turn off the fuel pumps before I turn off the car or can I leave the switch on?

Understanding that all of these cars have quirks, my does as well and therefore I will be tinkering over the winter (I bought the car as a hobby so I am looking forward to the work):
Fuel Smell: as noted in my other thread, the car does make the garage smell like fuel although the cockpit does not smell

Clutch Squeak: Once in a while the clutch will squeak when disengaging; I need to look up why kind of clutch it is but right now it does not seem to be a problem when driving

Noise and Heat: I am going to be installing the thicker rear window and putting dynamat on the rear firewall just cut down on some of the noise and heat... it will still be a racecar, I just want to take the edge off

Suspension Squeak: There are some small squeaking noises when cycling the suspension that seem to come from the heim joints

Water Sealing: As others have done, I am going to be looking into the roof vent drain and other tweaks to make sure water does not come in

Nothing here is a big deal and all of them will allow me to personalize the car, I am looking forward to it.

Kevin

Attachments

• GT40-buzzetta-ny-engine.jpg
    GT40-buzzetta-ny-engine.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 576
  • GT40-buzzetta-ny-cockpit2.jpg
    GT40-buzzetta-ny-cockpit2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 551
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 573
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 494
Kevin,
Congratulations on your SPF purchase. You'll love it!
Concerning suspension squeaks, I had a front one that took a long time to track down. Turned out the front sway bar would bind slightly. Tried lubing things, but finally had to disassemble the nylon bushings, file one for a little more clearance, and reassemble.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Kevin, if the EFI is controlling the fans thats a good thing, a override switch is nice but not necessary. I would not think turning off the fuel pumps is necessary, I don't. All the rest is part of the ownership, heat, noise, and water, you just have to deal with it best as possible. But its worth it. :)

Whats your P number?

Kevin, if the EFI is controlling the fans thats a good thing, a override switch is nice but not necessary. I would not think turning off the fuel pumps is necessary, I don't. All the rest is part of the ownership, heat, noise, and water, you just have to deal with it best as possible. But its worth it. :)

Whats your P number?

Thanks

It is P2248... where does that put me in relation to most cars on this forum? Are they sequential? If so that is 84 cars off of yours Jack.

Anyone in the Chicago area that wants to get together sometime before the snow falls? I will bring/buy the drinks if I can tap your brains of knowledge.

Kevin

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Having a later car Kevin would be better in my opinion, I believe if you look you will have the area around the fuel filler (both sides) sealed off from the tub, this is a good thing. Remember the best is always the last.

Hi Kevin,

Chassis numbers are not correlative. There should be a number in some of the items of your car which is the actual build number... I found mine, for example, written on the back of the seats. Then you will now exactly which build number is your car. (I think that´s the way it goes, but correct me if I am wrong)

Although I am not in the USA until Christmas, I live 60 miles north of Indy.
Not many GT40 owners in Indiana as far as I know. It would be nice if all the owners in the area could get together sometime next year.

Long story short, I had been attempting to purchase the RHD car that has been on ebay for sometime but we could not agree on price (see post about market price of gt40); let's just say that car is going to be for sale for a long time.

Kevin,

Do you happen to still have the link to that E-bay auction? I couldn't find it.

Oh, and to dogpile on here, CONGRATS! :thumbsup:

Great news, Kevin! My Superformance needs a playmate. I don't know where you plan to go on your drive this weekend but I live in Barrington Hills. Wanna take the cars out and stampede my neighbors' horses? Too bad you weren't with us last Sunday. I tagged along with the Windy City Cobra guys and we drove out to the Rock River for a brunch. Let me know if you want to get together some time. You can see my car, which was one of the earliest MKI's and we can compare notes. (Oh, Jack's right....just leave the fuel pump on all the time.) Way to go!!

Back