max safe revs from a 302

Just wondering... I bought the car a while back, and cannot get detailed info on the engine internals. Moderate power (250), 4-barrel Holley, conventional valve gear. Of course max revs will go well past peak power, but on our lovely deserted Scottish roads :), I'm just wondering how high I can permit this engine to rev? For what its worth, its an ex-Torino motor, ie not a marine derivative!
Thanks...

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Hi Pete, I thought 6000 was relatively safe, but use 5500 as a general limit which is exciting enough for me When I had the old cast iron heads, the valve train was not so happy up there.
Dave

Hi Peter,

The 302 can rev easily up to 8K rpm, with the right parts and setup. I used to build them all the time when I was building Mustangs. I also built a 351C 4V which revved to 8500 without too much trouble, it could rev higher but I didnt see it safe for the engine. Beyond this there is no point.

Given the OP's original post any attempt to run it at 8k will require a large drip tray, probably sooner rather than later....

It all depends on the valvetrain. If it is a solid lift cam, flat tappet or roller, you're better able to minimize valve float at higher rpm's and continue to have good power. Even a hydraulic roller will start to float the valves around 6500 rpm's. And you'll hear it.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
The older 302s usually started seeing valve float issues above ~5500. I believe the rotating assembly is good for ~6000. Considering the "moderate" power value you've provided, it sounds OEM, so I'd stay below 6K. Any modifications (improvements) to the valve train would probably push the limit up to the OEM rotating assembly limit, which would be safe at 6K for sure, and pushing it at 6.5K.

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

The 302 can rev easily up to 8K rpm, with the right parts and setup. I used to build them all the time when I was building Mustangs. I also built a 351C 4V which revved to 8500 without too much trouble, it could rev higher but I didnt see it safe for the engine. Beyond this there is no point.

That sounds great, really, I bet it does.

Been away, and just caught up on some later contributions, for which I am very grateful. Most helpful - thanks all! Happy to report my use is well clear of the danger zone...
Peter

With the early 289/302:
5000 rpm = nice performance shift point
5500 rpm = occasional good high performance
6000 rpm = once in a while or how big is your bank account ?
Is the rule of thumb I go by! Lol
The 289 revs easier...

Back