HELP - Cylinder block colour

Does anyone know what colour the cylinder blocks on the original cars were when they were released in the 60's
I think the XE blocked race cars were in black, but not sure and I do not know about the road cars

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Roy, at the time these cars were made, Ford engine blocks were painted dark blue. Probably this was because dark blue has always been a Ford 'trademark' color- and because Chevy engines were painted orange...for what it's worth, we're painting mine (68 302) dark blue.
thanks for the help with the roof, by the way...

Ron Earp

Admin
You might want to check the archives on color, it has been covered before. Not all ford blocks of this era were dark blue. Some were black or grey but I have no idea what percentages nor from what factories, or when or why. I'm sure some of the Ford show car fellows could sort this out.

Hi Jim, Ron,
I wondered if the block colours were relative to the racing programme, ie black for XE parts, and different colours for different years on the road cars and if so what colour codes.
I guess I'll have to keep digging.
Jim, glad to have helped with the roof

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
For production cars, all blocks were ford corporate blue from 1966 onward (at least up to 1973 anyway).

I don't know about GT's but for mustangs before 1966 I think the 289 Hipo was black with chrome valve covers, the standard 4-barrel was black with gold valve covers, and the 2-barrel was all blue.

So maybe the correct color depends on year?

Ron Earp

Admin
I think that Adam is correct. A buddy of mine locally just restored a Mustang GT to concours levels and it is a K code, 271 hp 289 and has a black block. I'm sure it is correct as it has been in numerous shows and pulled some nice awards. Based solely on that I painted my block black.

Now, I don't know what happened later or when it happened, but 80s and 90s cars had a lot of grey blocks and black blocks, but no more blue.

Back