Greetings From Monterey

Does anyone know what the featured marque will be for 2005, by any chance? I think it's Steve Earle's practice to announce it at the conclusion of each year's event.

Bob

I don't remember the 917 owners name either but he says he has owned it for a long time and that it is probably the most original unrestored 917 on the planet.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what the featured marque will be for 2005, by any chance?

[/ QUOTE ]
They're on a 20-year repeating schedule, I believe. And if memory serves me correctly, that should make it Mercedes Benz. But I could be wrong...

Thanks, Steve. According to the MHR website the marque in 1985 was Alfa (it was M-B in 1986). I guess we'll see.

Bob

Hmmm... Yes, well now that I look at the list it's clear that they're not holding exactly to any kind of schedule. Ford 1983/2003 Ferrari 1984/2004 (also 1994) look like the only ones that actually did the 20 year thing, so who knows? Best let someone who was there let us know what they announced...

I wouldn't mind seeing a "theme" or "class" as the "featured marque," such as the Can Am. Either that, or Earle can just go ahead and feature Ford again--2003 was too cool... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Earle doesn't like the Can Am cars too much,they make too much noise .....you need to check them out at the Redman race at Road America...........superb.

I know what you mean, I've only missed one year at RA in the last six or seven. I was there a few years ago when they had something like 70 Can Am cars on the track at the same time. The sound of them coming down to Canada Corner was unreal. Unfortunately the Can Am fields the last few years seem to be thinning. Fran, I don't know if you made it to the BRIC last month but I think there were only two or three Can Am cars competing on Sunday. They didn't have a dedicated Can Am race this year, which probably had something to do with it.

At any rate, the best vintage Can Am race I've seen was at Monterey in '98, when two 917/30s went head-to-head with a Shadow and one or two other cars. The lead changed every lap for several laps, and the drivers were really going for it--I saw several daredevil passing moves involving locked brakes and barely-missed bodywork. It was really stirring stuff, possibly better than a lot of the "real" racing in the era of utter McLaren/Porsche domination--

Bob

Back