Race results from the weekend

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
The weekend didn't start well as I arrived at Phillip Island and realized I'd left my Racing license and log book behind.Had to get the missus to drive the 100km to bring them.When she arrived I got through scrutineering and only missed 2 laps of qualifying.Did 6 laps and set a personal best lap time of 1min 46.9sec.The rest of the weekend didn't go as well.The first race I suffered bad understeer and nearly had an off.Race 2 better but times not good.Final race the 10 lapper I started
in 10th place and the understeer speared me off again at turn 4.Rejoined at the rear of the field and was catching the back markers when a damn stone jammed under the go pedal(remember that one)ok so I had to shut off the ignition and with my right foot pushing the pedal I managed to kick the stone out with my left foot.Back into it again and managed to pick up the Lotus Exige and MGBV8 on 2nd last lap.Finished in 13th place but plans are in place to improve the handling, just gone the wrong direction by a little bit.
Ross

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey, nice to hear someone out flogging their 40 wheel to wheel! Sounds like you need to increase your front bite. I would probably start with the easy ones like raise the front tire pressure a bit and increase negative camber. A little more toe out would improve turn in a bit too, but I am sure you know all of this basic stuff and are on the right track. If you've got an adjustable front sway bar then that might be a good way to tune it if it needs just a little, softening it should improve bite as well. Got any photos or videos of the weekend? Watch thta debris in the drivers' area!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ron

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Tell you what Ross, your Missus must really love you to
drive all that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Make sure you treat her right.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Peter,

I'm sure he does, by leaving the credit card for the weekend while he's gone. That will usually do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW Ross, I just received your package with the Lucas switches. Thanks a million, just give a holler for any needs so I can return the favor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hello Guys thanks for the comments - Just to give you more info, I had increased the front springs fromm 500 to 600lb and had noticed the understeer problem only on the 1st lap , 1st slow corner.I had also noticed if I really got some heat into the front tyres during the warm up lap I'd be ok, but I hadn't done this.I wasn't trail braking Gary and it went through the initial turn in phase ok but then went suddenly before I got to the apex.My situation is I've stiffened the front too much and have non adjustable roll bar on front and no roll bar on rear.I have blade adjustable units being made so balance will be easier to achieve in the future.At least I have proved the car is an understeerer at this point.Phillip Island has a long straight and the 40 really has some speed up at the end of it and get's very twitchy.I'm going to try the Gurney flap to see if I can control this.Pete I do treat Cheryl right.Tim I have something I'd like you to do for me, I'll get you the detail soon.
Ross

Back