Parked next to GT40P1058

Last Sunday, I cruised to Captree Boat basin in Long Island NY, to see if my CV joint was still spitting grease. I think I licked the problem by using plumber's seal on the bolts. An added benefit and a wonderful surprise when I got there was seeing this beautifully restored road car, which I believe is #1058. The driver was nowhere to be found and returning after I strolled away to get a cup of coffee, he was gone. Of course, I was awestruck, no camera, so I hurriedly grabbed somebody with one, and gave him my email addy. He came through. Of course, I forgot to check the VIN tag, but the plates said 1966GT40. I think this may be Harvey Seigel's car, originally red, resprayed yellow, just finished with an extensive resto and respray to blue. I'm figuring out hpow to post images here...
Oh, that's my lowly CAV next to it and me peering into the window.

Attachments

• 79863-SideBySide2.jpg
    79863-SideBySide2.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 571
Fantastic story and picture Ray. That car looks awesome, and 1058 doesn't look bad either!

It's very good to see an original MK1 road car still sporting Borranis.

Cheers

Hehe, thanks Rob. Those Boranis also sported the proper Dunlops. Notice how high the rear of the CAV sits in comparison. I lowered the rear another 1.5 inches yesterday and I get rubbing in the front of the rear tyres in the dips; a common problem with the CAVs. Ian Clarke is sending me his famous lower arm mod that allows perfect centering and lowering of the rear wheels.

Here's another detail pic showing the yet-to-be-replicated winged Djus fasteners and the inside windshield demister vents with the control lever.

Attachments

• 79878-Demisters&Squirters2.jpg
    79878-Demisters&Squirters2.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 527
Are these those $2500 hinges? And any idea where to get those Ford emblems?

Attachments

• 79907-EmblemclipHinge.jpg
    79907-EmblemclipHinge.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 521
Ray, great photos again.

The Ford emblems are 1960s UK Ford items (Zephyr etc). You can but pretty good replicas of these emblems from Europa Spares in the UK.

http://www.europaspares.com/

Yes the latches are Hartwells. ERA stock these (I think for $1200 a set but I may be wrong). I nearly bought a set on Ebay last week that looked very similar but turned out to be nearly twice the size. A lucky break...

Cheers.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
Are these those $2500 hinges?

[/ QUOTE ](latches, but we know what you meant!)
Fran Kress has very nice repros of the Hartwells. Saw a set last week in Columbus, tried to "secure" a set but Fran was watching..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif

Gotta love anyplace you can go for a drive and see a real, genny street car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are these those $2500 hinges?

[/ QUOTE ](latches, but we know what you meant!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooops, yes, latches. See? I'm still all excited about it. A month or so ago, Steve Robertson (on a stopover in NY from SA enroute to Houston,TX, and I get to inspect Tom Power's GT40/P1056 at Joe Stimola's shop in Locust Valley, 4 miles from me,, ready for the start of a major resto (not too bad). Now this. I'm lucky to to be in this area. Bill Wonder lives around here but I think he just sold his GT40. Now I know why they call it the "Gold Coast" of Long Island.

Peeking at the engine bay, it was strange to see those beautiful Webers on top of the 289, then see the luggage boxes in the rear.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Bill, almost identical, except I didn't really get a good look at the engine bay since the owner was nowhere to be found to open the rear clip. The screens for the side scoops were identical, but the front nostrils had full openings with the same stainless grille inserts as the side scoops. It also was a RHD car, gear shifter on the right sill. Door hardware was identical to the red car, with the pop out window hinges in perspex with the pins. The fit and finish was incredible!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
Why are those hinges so much $$$..

Oliver

[/ QUOTE ]
Latches.......from the same government that brought you the $1200.00 toilet seat. Gotta love "cost plus" contracts!

That's why the helicopter they come off costs 2.9 million.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
Rick

Ray
I had worked on Harvey's GT, and it was white with blue stripes. It was RHD car, and originally had wire wheels which were changed over to alloys, Halibrands if I remember correctly. The problem with the car was he rarely drove it and a lot of the tub area under the fuel cells, and some of the aluminum parts had corroded badly. The whole pedal assembly casting in the footwell had to be replaced also. I believe that car was sold about 3 years ago at Barrett/Jackson...but I could be wrong on that, but he definitely doesen't own the car now. I guess VIR keeps him busy enough.
Cheers
Phil

Thanks Phil,

Now I'm really intrigued as to which car this is. I had referred to "the book" and figured this was most likely Harvey's car.
I'm kicking myself for not looking at the NY regi sticker that would have had the VIN #.
I'll have to keep cruising Captree on Sundays, hoping he'll show up again. From the looks of the car, I'm pretty sure, it will be doing the show circuit around here this season.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back