Phillip Island race meeting wrap up

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Here is the pic, note the white stripes which match my appropriate tow vehicle and my new sponsor on rear guard Allan Knight Refinishing. If your building a GT40 or Cobra in OZ get Allan to paint it, he is a perfectionist and really knows the tricks in making these cars look good. He has even gone to the trouble of developing his own colours. Allan repainted my front clip and removed all the stone chips. I like the fact that we both want the car to look good. Story below

Attachments

• lastscan (600 x 384).jpg
    lastscan (600 x 384).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 391

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Thank goodness it is a holiday in melbourne today. I really haven't been able to relax since the previous round at Sandown just after Easter.You may have seen my post about engine problems and front damage from a visit to a tyre wall during an offtrack excursion.Anyway I got the motor back together and running a week ago and picked up the repaired and painted clip from Allan on Thursday. Thursay evening I put the front back together and stripes were fitted.Friday morning off to PI for practice. By the time paper work was done I had missed the first session and prepared the car for the 2nd. I mis heard the PA system and went out with the 944 Porsche cars which didn't matter cause I only did 1/4 of a lap when I noticed the temp gauge ramping up and down, so back to the pits.I have a red dash light that comes on when the Motec computer switches the fan on so I knew the water was hot in the heads. It was a nice sunny day and I wasn't worried when my real group went out and I missed another session whilst working on my problem. I thought I may need to re bleed the air out of the heads which I did with no improvement, fan belt not tight enough, tightened no difference and finally I decided to remove the thermostat and voila it was running a lot cooler with no antics on the gauge.So I was able to complete the next 2 sessions of practice and I was pleased $165 entry fee not wasted.
I decided to bring the car home on friday night to fit a new thermostat as the correct running temp is important for good combustion, not to mention that the computer gives more fuel if it is told, the motor is cold. And during the hour and a half trip I decided to ask my son James to help me get the car to idle properly, after the thermostat fitting. All went well after finding the correct t/stat at a retail auto parts store on their late night ( thank god it's friday ). The wide band Lambda sensor was indicating a very lean condition as the engine came down to idle and as I already knew you could only keep it running by blipping the throttle which poked in enough fuel but the leaning out would start again. Adjusted a few maps on the laptop and we had 14.7 air fuel ratio on the meter, result Idling like a beauty another drivavility advancement Gre......at ( now how long had it been like that?)
So up early Sat morning off back to PI. Morning Practice/Qualifying went without a hitch lap times ok but the car was running very sweetly with very good power and I was getting used to shift points for the new ZF.
The start of the sat arvo Race went ok but the lights caught me a little unprepared and I had too much wheel spin.Backed off a bit and got away but suddenly realized an almost stopped Ferrari Mercialargo blocking me.Got round him but not before the cobra shot past, now that was a mistake beacause he slowed me down all race taking funny lines.Anyway we came on a yellow flag which turned out to be a GT3 returning to the track after an off.This is the last of 5 laps and I was confident I could take the Cobra with a really good entry onto the straight.It went well until I took 5th gear and missed it. The Porsche sailed past as well so I dropped to 14th and 2nd last place. Oh well 2 races to go on Sunday.
Sunday weather a bit iffy but prepare the car and off to scrutineering, brake lights not working my boy bring it back when they are.Ok off to check and luckily only a fuse.That digital meter I got as a freebie from the wholesaler came in handy.Start of race 2 a 6 lap race went well and made up 4 places but behind that pesky Cobra.Coming round to exit Southern loop and oh no! cars all bunching up some one off.I brake hard and the car with relatively cold tyres understeers off.I recover well but am behind and in last place.Paced myself and caught the Nissan 200sx but the Cobra was too far ahead.
Last race a 10 lapper and started well.This time I left the Cobra and Nissan behind, my straight line speed is good. 8 laps in though I feel the car not handling as good but put it down to longer race.On the ninth lap past the hayshed I almost have an off but control it.9th lap the Cobra passes me and I go off at the same corner understeer feels like a flat.Sideways through the kitty litter but I manage to regain control and get back on the track, much to the delight of the flag marshalls who were clapping me.So with a seriously deflating tyre I got to the finish line and at least beat the Nissan.My best lap time was well off the pace at 1min 50.8 but we have identified suspension problems and these will be dealt with now the motor is back to where it should be. I'm happy. Incidently that time is still faster than Vern Shuppan had 1109 lapping in Feb historic meeting.After all that excitement I'm having today off, do you blame me anyone?
Ross

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
I will admit to these senior moments chris but at least I'm not repeating myself which you appear to be doing. are you experiencing short term memory loss as well? (LOL intensely )
Ross

Back