Motor Racing is Keeping Me Poor

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
What you see in this photo has just cost me $3000 thats 4 rotors, a set of pads, rotor bolts and I still have to have the aluminium hats made. I'm really pleased I don't have to buy new calipers.

Ross

Attachments

• ap brake rotors (600 x 450).jpg
    ap brake rotors (600 x 450).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 670
Im sure the prize monies you will now win due to the huge drop in lap times will more than recompense this financial investment Ross.

I am always slightly bemused how folk are a little upset about spending money to slow down their cars compared to making more power. When you consider that the money spent on a good brake system will slow you from your top speed in a fraction of the time & money that it took you to acheive that speed there should be no argument.

Just make sure you look after them Ross, during and after each race.
Cheers

Jac Mac

Malcolm

Supporter
I just replaced my front AP discs with new AP discs. If I remember correctly roughly £150 per disc, pads at £25 per pad (Pagid blues) and the bell bolts were not too dear then plus vat. I suspect my discs were smaller diameter than yours at only 296mm by 28mm. 8 groove. Last time I had bells made was about £80 each?

What bothered me was the outrageous wait to get them as I choose a rarer size that was not in AP stock and then their supplier went bust (?) and new castings had to be made elsewhere and then there was the letter Y in the day and then eventually I got them! However they do stop the car rather well, especially when the wheels stay on the car!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Jeez Ross, stop whinging about the expense of motor sport. Look on the bright side. You could be married to my missus, now that's expensive!

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Perhaps, Pete, but I saw a photo you posted and I'd say it's worth it. You are one lucky man, in many ways!

Cheers!

Doug

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Russ- unfortunately I had to spend my own money on this one.
Chris- I did check DBA but I wanted to run AP which are a highly proven product.

JacMac- We pay to play, if you get on the podium your lucky to recieve a 5litre of oil and a certificate. I understand what your saying but I was mainly
trying to express my feelings on how much I paid for so little.

Turboman808- the rotors are not special in fact are a stock item by the distributor.

Malcolm- I converted the pounds you paid to A$ and got $370 so I suppose
the 340mm size (bigger than your 296mm) plus freight goes some of the way to explain my $600 price tag.

Pete- I'm not whinging.... honest. I envy you guys with beautiful road cars that cost nothing to maintain. Do you think Di would be interested in sponsoring me. She must be impressed that my posts draw out her admirers and she must have a hell of a lot of your money by now.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
While I don't have a 40 yet, Ross, I envy those who do, and I'm in awe of those who manage to race theirs. I suspect you would be surprised how many of us look for your posts so that we can keep up with your racing activities. Building one of these beasts is an expensive endeavor, and I can only dream about having the resources to build one specifically for racing, so I'm hoping you continue to race and post b/c it allows me to experience vicariously through your adventures, good or bad. Hey--I'd even grouse a bit over the issue at hand--those products seem rather expensive to me, too, but like you say, we must pay to play, and playing at the level you enjoy is costly.

Cheers!

Doug

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Haha Ross.

Jac Mac has a warped sense of humour, he knows we all race for nothing. His comments were tongue in cheek. You should see some of our email exchanges!

Like Doug says we all follow your exploits and look forward to your next race meeting.

Cheers

Russ Noble said:
Haha Ross.

Jac Mac has a warped sense of humour, he knows we all race for nothing. His comments were tongue in cheek. You should see some of our email exchanges!

Like Doug says we all follow your exploits and look forward to your next race meeting.

Cheers

Ross,Russ,& Doug,

I "know" that I am not alone in the warped humour brigade, It helps to keep me sane..

Ross I am well aware of the rewards in motorsport, or lack of. When I first entered motorsport [ @ Teretonga ] in 1968 my entry fee was refunded when I presented the car @ Tech inspection & prize money[actual $$$] was paid down to 10th place in each race, ( this was @ club level racing ).
In my last series of OSCA championship racing entry fees were not refunded, and series prizemoney based on points was not paid out until 3 month's after the series had finished. It was about then I figured I would be better off building them for other folk than continue racing on my own account.
Besides they have now introduced this 'new' regulation called " FINES" as a means to further inhibit the creative talents of people like us, eh Russ!!!

However enough of this history stuff, I had better get Bills bump steer stuff sorted & away to him.

Jac Mac

Ron Earp

Admin
I just bought four rotors for Malcolm and the boys' Spec Miata. $19.99 each, what a bargain! Big difference in parts costs for things made by the 100,000s compared to the 1000s.

Generally, they last about 40 hours before replacement, but there is a big difference in slowing down only 2300lbs from 110mph to 40mph compared to you from like 150mph to 40mph! I imagine Miata rotors would last only minutes under your conditions.

R

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
aladinsane said:
or, you could have been married to my ex-missus, now that's expensive! :eek:

Tim, it's a real revelation isn't it, how a missus can be temporary, but an ex-missus is forever? ;)

John

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
jac mac said:
Besides they have now introduced this 'new' regulation called " FINES" as a means to further inhibit the creative talents of people like us, eh Russ!!!

Jac Mac

Sorry Jac Mac, I don't know what you're talking about! If you did everthing legit like I do, I'm sure you'd have no trouble! LOL

Russ Noble said:
Sorry Jac Mac, I don't know what you're talking about! If you did everthing legit like I do, I'm sure you'd have no trouble! LOL

Russ,

I guess this a recent change in outlook you have adopted, you really should keep me informed !!! I might have to bring 'my' tape measure to ChCh on my next visit and see if that is a GT40 or a GT36 you are putting together.LOL

Jac Mac

Back