J40GT birthday party on Silverstone GP circuit

Malcolm

Supporter
In May this year my GTD 40 will be fifteen years on the road! This is a milestone I wsh to use as an excuse to have some fun with the car so I am taking it to Sivlerstone for a Goldtrack track day on 5th June and would wish to invite anyone else to come along, either with or without their cars.

I have arranged for a triple garage to be made available so all you need to do is enter your car and come play. The day is a noisy day on the full GP circuit (great for all types of car) and the format is 8 half hour sessions giving you 4 hours of track time (less unexpected stoppages!), normaly more than enough for most people.

Goldtrack run excellent track days and I think them very good value for money. The entry fee for the day is £299. If this is of interest to you either book via the web site at Gold Track - UK Motorcycle and Car Track Days - Silverstone - Brands Hatch - Oulton Park or you can call Melindi or Calum directly on 01327 361361. Mention my name so that we get the garages as we need 6 cars to secure them all.

So far I have good expressions of interest from Bjorn and his Vipers, Charles and a couple of others in their GTDs, John with one or two Porsche race cars, Dave and the R42, Matthew and his Ariel Atom Hiyabusa (with twin gearboxes!) and I will also be taking my prosport as well as my 40. Also working on some with E Type and Ferrari.

I would expect this group of cars to have cars in both groups on the day so at all times someone will be on track to watch and someone will be in the garages to talk to.

A freindly race instructor should be on hand (if not more than one) and it has been threatened one or more BTCC drivers may show but in a social capacity only.

If you don't fancy putting your car on track, still feel free to come along to spectate and join in the fun. Entry to days at Silverstone like this are free to the public and you can roam the whole circuit at will. Any type of 40 would look good in the paddock behind the pit garage!

The invitation is there. Do you want to come? Please let me know.....

Mlacom,

Looks great ! I will come if a place available for the track day.
Understood no noise restriction and that I need to book directly, correct?

Fred

Malcolm

I would love to be there with K40 GT, but looks like we will be on the ferry coming back from France that day - If anything changes I will be there!

Desparate for an open pipe day!

Good luck
Julian

Malcolm

Supporter
Fred, feel free to book in at your discretion. Noise is not unlimited so straight through pipes will get you pulled off the circuit. However some semblance of an exhaust system should see you ok. If in doubt discuss with Goldtrack, they would be willing to discuss any concern you have like this. At the end of the day the discretion on noise is between Goldtrack and Silverstone.

Julian, time to change your holiday plans! Do come if you can, the chap (Keiran) who helped Bob build Suzie is likely to be there as he was crew chief for the Porsche I raced last year. Really nice guy.

Malcolm,
I know we discussed this over the telephone a while back but i will try and bring the 917 up. It,s time you drove a Porsche hybrid !!! Busy time of the year though and expensive.

GT

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Graham

Just to see the 917 would be great. Even better to see it on track. Looks like we should have a great collection of different cars! Brilliant

Malcom

Tx.will ctc them but really would like to join.

Graham,

PLSSS come with your 917! I would love to get this one in my garage too...

Fred

I've just spoken to Melindi and booked my place.

As usual, Malcolm is correct - Goldtrack days are as well organised as any and driving the full GP circuit at Silverstone is superb fun :D

Also, it's a very safe circuit with lots of run-off so there's plenty of room to play....

So, who else is planning to come?

Book your place early and add your name to this list.

Charles

VCC56

Lifetime Supporter
Nad and I are comming with the big bad black viper on that day. We're great fans of the Goldtrack concept and have done a few of their track days so far this season, and are booked to do several more. Can't wait!!

Bjorn

Malcolm

Supporter
Glad you can come Bjorn, maybe persuade you to do the 24 hours in the Viper? Paul tells me the car is fab so looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Paul has confirmed his intention to bring Roy's red 40, I can't remember when that was last on the Silverstone GP circuit.

Andrew Worseley is bringing his Mini Miglia race car which should hassle a few others there on the day as it is mighty quick, should get to about 140mph on Hangar Straight! A real florescent pink and lurid green screamer!

John has confirmed he is bringing his 911 RSR race car down and not the 993 RSR race car as that will be in preparation for the 24 hours. To see his full stable visit

CTRacing Limited

Nearer the time I will post a full list of cars entered hopefully with pictures.

As I mentioned on another thread about the GTD40 Club track day, if you are wanting to come and see what is what please do come, you are most welcome to come stick your head in and join the fun, it is looking like it will be a great day!

Malcolm,
Congrats on your cars 15th birthday. I am curious about the "noisy day" at Silverstone since no db maximum is shown and the next event at Snetterton has a 105 db limit. I have been able to run open pipes at various circuits in California and I just get under a 103 db limit with my 302 .Steve Beck also runs open pipes and has only been black flagged once for being over 103 but would make 105 with his 347 stroker .It sounds like Fred really wants to run open pipes . Does anyone else have any sound levels on their cars with open pipes ? I know this is a bit subjective since the sound limits are based at different distances.Infineon (Sears Point) is 50 ft but I would be interested to know. Have a great track day at Silverstone ,hope its not snowing !
Graham W

VCC56

Lifetime Supporter
I'd see if I feel up to some proper racing next season, Malcolm, but for now I best just get to know the car. Did try to explore the limits with too much enthusiasm last visit to Silverstone, and I ended up in the armco. Not good, but car is now back together and ready to do the business at your 40's birthday party. Sounds like its going to be a fun day.
I keep mentioning the date to mates, and I particularly recommend everyone who wants Goodwood to remain the venue for the club trackday to come and participate/observe. You will be amazed at how much track time you get and how friendly and helpful everyone at Goldtrack are, two big differences from Goodwood. The noisy day at Silverstone doesent mean you can run straight-thru's, as Martin(007) found out when he was black flagged on a noisy day for being too noisy!! But you can certainly be noisier than 105.

Graham W,

Track testing of db levels are a problem with many of us now with the big engines, especially with circuit racing.

My 40 has been borderline many times on entering the assembly area, where they normally test, before a race and usually reads 108 -110 db.

The last two races with the 917 recorded a whopping 124 db, but they still let me race probably because they wanted to see the car out !! The meter must have been hopelessly out because that is a very high reading !!!!

There is no way that i would ever be allowed out at Goodwood or Castle Combe with the Porsche as i cannot pull the noise down to their very low ratings, but the 40 could be repacked if need be, but i cannot be bothered or have the time to keep changing things.

Graham.

Malcolm

Supporter
Graham

Your 917 is so good I suspect every circuit would cut you slack to get you out. And so they should! Can you confim if you are bringing it on the 5th? You mentioned above you might and it would good to see you again. I tried calling you the other day but you were out or busy. Working flat out on my car to get it ready in time

Back