Team 40 to NZ

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Well our 'Team 40 to NZ' race team is alive and the first phase of the Logistics is under way. Here are some photos of our car being loaded into the container. As you can imagine some lengths have been gone to, to make sure the car is strapped in real good.I got the container on friday and have been trial fitting the car all weekend. The packed container will be picked up wednesday for an appointment with the ship departing friday. Currently I have about 20 team members who have each paid a $200 sponsorship. I am very grateful for the help from these members of my team, but if anyone still wants to join up please PM me. I thought 40 team members would be the a nice number for this forum.Don't forget there is a DVD at the completion of the trip, also other momentos too.
Cheryl and I leave on the 24th of Jan to meet the ship when it docks in Christchurch. It may not sound like it but I am under a fair bit of pressure at the moment.
Ross:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Team 40 to NZ loading container 001 (600 x 450).jpg
    Team 40 to NZ loading container 001 (600 x 450).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 366
  • Team 40 to NZ loading container 003 (600 x 450).jpg
    Team 40 to NZ loading container 003 (600 x 450).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 388
Hi Ross,

I am sure you've been busy, no doubt a tad stressful getting the car and gear loaded into the container. I can see from other posts that team Noble are working hard too get there also.

I'll catch up with you before you leave, could you advise dates and where you'll be running in NZ?

Andrew E

6-7-8 Feb, Powerbuilt Raceway ( Ruapuna for old guys ) Christchurch, South Island, NZ.

13/14/15 Feb, Levels Raceway, Timaru, Sth Island, NZ ( About 100miles down the road )

20/21/22 Feb, Teretonga, Invercargill, S.I., NZ.( about 300+ miles further south )

First day of each meeting is usually tech-doc & unofficial practice.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Best of Luck Ross,
Wish I could be coming along too.....
Keep the posts coming and try not to stress too much!

Cheers
Bill

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Thought my new number plate may impress. How subtle is the Silver Fern, well white Fern really. The Container was picked up today and my baby will be sweltering in that stuffy metal box at the docks 37° today and 39° tomorrow. At least I have a fan to cool me, bit noisy though. I'm actually in 2 states of mind 1/ I hope the car is safely secured in the container and doesn't end up a pile of scrap when doors are opened and 2/ Relief that I don't have to worry (Do I have everything? Is there anything else I should take? Is there anything else I should do to the car?) Too late now move on to the paper work and how to run a business from 2000km away for 4 weeks.MMmmmm.

Attachments

• team40 to nz (600 x 450).jpg
    team40 to nz (600 x 450).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 402

David Lowe

Lifetime Supporter
Good luck Ross
I think as we sit in front of our desks at work we cannot be anything but very jealous.
I notice it's a resonably tight race schedule. Have you factored in any major mechanical or body damage to your 'baby' between races. If you have what if any support do you have?
Regards
David

From the other side of the Globe

Ross good luck for your races,
I have my holiday this year in NZ,will arrive on Feb 20th and will try to attend the meeting in Invercargill
Cheers
JP

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
I did notice the new number plate, very nice touch although I personally would have put the Eureka flag below the Silver Fern...haha
By the way Ross, have you considered doing a documentary style video, showing the preparation, build up and behind the scenes footage that can be edited into a documentary? You know the type I mean where there is a radio man voice over telling the audience what is going on, mixed in with interview style footage, action footage etc.
Raw footage to start with and editing when you get back to Oz.......

No pressure, I was just thinking about you being there having fun and me not being there & not having fun... :)

Bill

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Well if you've checked Russ Noble's Kiwi scratchbuilt thread you would know I have been working on his wiring since I arrived in NZ. However today was a free practice day at the track so I left Russ (who is still trying to complete his car) and spent the day getting familiar with Ruapuna race circuit near Christchurch. This is the first time I've driven there so I spent some time learning the track before getting the car up to the limits of the tyres. I have to admit this morning when I arrived at the circuit not everything went according to plan. Being unfamiliar with the borrowed trailer I managed to deposit 1/2 the car off the trailer with no ramps. Felt a bit stupid really as it was obvious to others around me what I had done, the car was beached on the rear of the trailer. Managed to correct my situation and the only real harm was broken cable ties holding the rear brake ducts on. I'm glad I spent the time on track today as I now have the corners in my head. Tomorrow there is more practice till 3.30 pm and then qualifying to sort the grid for race 1 on saturday morning. Here is a link to a newspaper article about the Skope Classic this weekend.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/thepress/4837774a14595.html
I'm off to bed now to get some beauty sleep.

I am going to avoid the obvious remarks about your beauty sleep and wish you good luck with qualifying and the subsequent races.

Sock it to 'em Ross (Goldie Horn circa 1970. She, unlike you, has no need of beauty sleep)

Iain

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Yes Ross you are really leading with your chin with the beauty sleep thing, but seeing its
Waitangi Day,

I'll simply say good luck and all the best.

Hi Ross
Look forward to meeting you tomorrow, the world is a small place when we are able to to these kinds of things.
Cheers

Hey Jac,
Did my Fellow Fiero owner Jack Ondrack arrive in NZ yet?I wonder how he can top the results he had last year!! Wish him good luck for me as I did not get a chance to call him before he left!

Dave D.

Hi Dave, he's here now & won three along with 3 seconds today at Ruapuna (( Last year was One 1st place, Three 2nds, one DNF due to a puncture )), the three seconds were mainly due to him spinning while in the lead by the sound of things ( just got off phone with him, but you know what race drivers are like--- gotta factor everything they say by ???%:):). Only other car that is getting close is an M3 with slicks & 7 speed sequential box, If we were allowed to use slicks they wouldnt see him for dust. Minor problem with diff pinion seal being pushed out in race two, blocked breather tube filter appears to have been the cause of that. Greg will have loved that, muffler has to come off to work on Diff & its a pain to remove after its been on a while, which it has in this case! Sounds like they are going to get more races this year which should make him happy!

I will leave it to Ross to fill us all in on his day!

Last edited:
the three seconds were mainly due to him spinning while in the lead by the sound of things

He was a good couple of seconds in the the lead every time, and the same corner every time

I will leave it to Ross to fill us all in on his day!

I had a great weekend at the races watching Ross dicing with the Porsches (the only Ferrari, Deno 206R replica wasn't upto the job).

Ross also brought the hot weather with him from Ozy, over 30 degrees c for all three days.

Gave us a near heart attack, hard on the brakes going straight towards a tyre wall on the grass. I will leave him to fill in the details along with an MGB BT that clipped the back of Ross, Ross carried on while the MGB GT did a nice pirouet in the dust.

Looking forward to next weekend at Levels :pepper:

Last edited:

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Jac,
Looks like Ross had a pretty good weekend.
I looked on MyLaps.com and saw all the racers names and times, but nowhere could I see an entry list showing what the cars were.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Dave

Back