Rock Star

Gentlemen
I think we may have a rock star in our midst. I have just come back from a week-ends racing at Oran Park. We had a really mixed bag of weather ' for some of us this was challenging however for others it seemed to make no difference whatsover.
Tim Mackie (TimOz) completely dominated the weekends racing with a very impressive display of driving in dry. wet . & half way wet / dry. He not only shrugged off GT2 turbo Porshes and GT3 Cup cars he also smahed the lap record with a time that a lot of Group A "Super Car" drivers would be happy with ! Oran Park for those who have never raced there is particularily unforgiving if you make a mistake. Concrete walls. Almost no run off areas and lots of little secret spots that remain wet when the rest of the track starts to dry. So to win is good. To win three times in a row is really good and to then drop the lap record by ~ 2 seconds is nothing short of brilliant. Well done Tim

Iain

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Well done to Tim.

I'm not surprised, I was impressed with the in car from Eastern Creek in March. Definitely a good peddler.:pepper::chug:

OK Tim, when do we get to see the in car from Oran Park? It might be tempting fate, but you may have to look at turning the cameras around so we can see the action BEHIND you.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Russ

I don't quite know what to say Iain. Thank you for those very kind words.
I have always liked Oran Park. It flows nicely, and gives great reward for a clean lap. Having said that, the weather was challenging, keeping us guessing all weekend.

The driver cannot take full credit. This little Lotus is an absolute weapon. It has no vices. If the in-car footage makes it look easy, it's because IT IS. The thing rarely gets out of shape. I just keep pushing it harder and it responds with faster times.
We have not changed anything (set-up, engine etc) for a season and a half, i've just been learning to drive this thing. And still haven't really found the limit. The Honda engine just keeps buzzing too. All we've done to it in almost three years is change the oil!

anyway, video is being edited now, so should be up today sometime.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Onya Tim.
Now, awright you budding "rocket stars" W.E. 22/8/09 is super V8s at QR (Queensland) and one of the support events is Production Sports Cars :-
Porkys, Lambos, Ferraris, GT40s, Cobras, Mx5s, Lotii etc etc --Fun in the sun --TV exposure -- don't ask me for an entry if you can't make it :blank:

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Ahh --home town, Look forward to seeing you up this way and I'll rustle up a bit of competition for ya. :thumbsup:.... see PM

Iain will you be racing the 40 or the Cobra this weekend. I may be able to get down to have a look if I can swap of the weekend at work

Darrell
DRB#46

Is there racing in Sydney this weekend?

I'd checked out both the Eastern Creek and Oran Park websites and couldn't see any major events?

Am I missing something?

Yes guys. We're racing at Eastern Creek.
Saturday is a packed program:
Two qualifying sessions per driver (sunday's race has a driver change- optional)
Two 10-lapper races per driver in the afternoon.

That will be 4 q-sessions and 4 races in one day for us! Busy!

Sunday has a warm up in the morning, then 1-hour race mid-late afternoon.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Tim, can you let someone in front for awhile so we can see some action?
Or better still set up a cam facing to the rear:laugh:
Good luck for the weekend.:thumbsup:

Yes guys. We're racing at Eastern Creek.
Saturday is a packed program:
Two qualifying sessions per driver (sunday's race has a driver change- optional)
Two 10-lapper races per driver in the afternoon.

That will be 4 q-sessions and 4 races in one day for us! Busy!

Sunday has a warm up in the morning, then 1-hour race mid-late afternoon.

Tim,

I hope to make it out there this weekend and take some photos.

That is very busy Saturday for the car, hopefully only an oil change is needed and a driver change on Sunday - or are you doing the get out of the car and shut door then get back in again stint?

My friend in Group C is trying to get his RX7 ready after his problem at Oran.

cheers
Stuart

I'm sharing the car with my brother, Dave.

Pete, i've muffed my share of starts this year, so chances are there will be cars in front of me. We don't have launch or traction control, so it's easy to smoke 'em up too much. The VW's usually get very good starts. It all adds to the fun.

We had a dud SD card at last round, so the vids were not so good. Also must remember to clean the lens on the roof-top camera, it was filthy after the rain!!

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Happy to report, an excellent weekend of racing by Morgan Park standards--great racing with plenty of interest for the crowds . Tim set a new track record for production sports cars--unfortunately fast cars come with an unpredictable price --just before the end of the race:sad:
Ians (GT40) name was on the schedule --but no Ian ?
Greg Q and self came second in the 1 hour enduro with the MX5 --the extra 40secs during driver change fondling with seat belts cost us the lead in stock class.
Hopefully you'll be up for the V8s at QR in a couple of weeks Tim?

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Tim had 1st at QR today with a very gentlemanly DRB cobra right up his clacker--- and then some Porsches --well done chaps:thumbsup:

Photos attached

Attachments

• prev40.jpg
    prev40.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 227
  • prev41.jpg
    prev41.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 229
Back