Off to 'The Ring'

Hi all -

I'm off to the Nordschleife next week for a few days with the Griff I prepare for a 300Km race and have just received the entry list should anyone be interested. Running on the full circuit, there are lots and lots of entries so it should be fun.

Currently I'm awaiting delivery of a replacment Rad and busy sticking in a bigger tank, i.e. 100L instead of the 47L as standard, which should enable us to run with just one stop and fits in well with the intended driver change midway so busy busy busy.

Also had to replace the single drivers intrusion bar with a double one complete with gussets to comply with the German entry regs. (Wish I had Tig gear!)

Roll on Thursday / next weekend.....:thumbsup:

A few pics and entry list.

Attachments

• Teilnehmer Eifelrennen 300 km.pdf
    59.8 KB · Views: 553
  • aIMG_0648.jpg
    aIMG_0648.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 241
  • bIMG_0663.jpg
    bIMG_0663.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 249
  • cIMG_0664.jpg
    cIMG_0664.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 246
  • dIMG_0665.jpg
    dIMG_0665.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 264
  • eIMG_0666.jpg
    eIMG_0666.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 218
  • fIMG_0667.jpg
    fIMG_0667.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 237
  • gIMG_0673.jpg
    gIMG_0673.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 254

Ron Earp

Admin
Good luck with the running! I like that larger cell, good stuff. Tig gear is for wusses, you did just fine, looks strong and safe.

Update on the Ring trip.

Basically, we managed to get car ready just in time, took it over on a Thursday, Fri Morn fitted the new Docking Radiator (V-nice!) fired her up and off we set for a couple of laps of the short GP cct before heading out onto the long cct for open practice.

Oh dear - did not all go to plan as the motor spun a bearing on 3 / 7 after just 1.5 laps of short cct.:embarassed: This was most likely a result of the motor being over-revved at Cadwell two weeks earlier when a throttle cable partially broke and stuick the throttle open. So we packed up and headed home...

However - in true British spirit, the drivers decided to enter an end of season event last weekend if I could get car sorted in time + having purchased a 964 RS too, decided to enter two 40 min races - Both at Snetterton.

So - after an engine rebuild with new rings, rods, crank, bearings, valves, retainers, springs, pump, timing gear, re-balance, a full strip and service of the toploader transmission, a strip and rebuild of the Jag Salsbury LSD Diff, testing and servicing of all 6 dampers (one turned out to be knackered with a faulty valve 'from new!') oh and a front corner that was cracked right through the chassis near top suspension mount - it was all back together for a test session last Friday. (ps - fitted a rev-limiter too)

In testing went well - esp with the new 97 material (Performance Friction) front pads, until the pump that feeds the swirl pot gave up the ghost.

A quick re-plumb bypassing the swirl pot saw it fired up again and all was good. We most likely don't need a swirl pot anyway as this replacement tank design incorporates such a system internally.

So Race day - qualified 3rd on grid in a strong field, but still managed to get to 2nd before the 1st corner. A safety car incident after a car rolled bunched the field up and a driver change mid way all added to the interest/tension but the car held up well and brought home an outright WIN! in the 40 minute 'Swinging Sixties' Race. :pepper:

The 'Future Classics Race' didn't go quite so well, with another 5th place qualifying position out of 38, but getting blocked on the start dropped us to 8th and a spin a little later to 13th. Places were regained but then a slight error on driver change (belts undone 'just' before being stationary) saw a drive-through penalty and we only managed 8th in the end. Still, not a bad shakedown for the car that was only purchased a couple of weeks ago and its first outing. The drivers also reported that the tyres were 'crap' and will be going on Ebay today to be replaced with Michelins.

So - A busy but Fun end to the season this year. (now for some testing)...

A couple of pics.

Attachments

• aIMG_0745.jpg
    aIMG_0745.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 202
  • bIMG_0746.jpg
    bIMG_0746.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 193
  • cIMG_0747.jpg
    cIMG_0747.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 179
  • dIMG_0743.jpg