Aus GT at Melbourne Grand Prix

G'day all. If anyone is attending the Melbourne Grand Prix meeting, please keep an eye out for us in the Australian GT Chapmionship races.

We will have a two car team (Me and my brother, Dave) racing in the "Challenge" class, which is for the Non-FIA GT3 spec cars. We hope to give some of the Lambo's and 997's a hurry up.

It should be great spectacle with Moslers, an Ascari, a few Astons and the usual Cup S porkers, Lambos etc.

If you're in the pits, swing by Prancing Wombat Racing and say hi..

Attachments

• prancing wombats.jpg
    prancing wombats.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 335

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I"ll be there Tim, I'll definitely try to swing by. Getting into the pits may be a problem though, Pete's bar might be a good alternative.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
I'll be seeing you there again this year Pete! Tim, you'll have to get us in the pits to check your cars out.
Bill

Go get 'em Tim, I have been lobbying for two years to try and get my car accepted but no success ....

Good luck

Iain

Thanks for the warm wishes guys.
As far as i know, we will be pitted with all other support acts, so your Grandstand ticket should get you into "our" pit area.
Bill & Pete, i look forward to catching up after so many years..

Iain, that's a shame. Your GT40 would add greatly to the spectacle of Gt racing. I've no doubt it would be a crowd favourite.

It looks like our pit area is not for from Pete's Bar. So we shouldn't be too hard to find.......... unless you've been at Pete's bar too long....

Looking forward to this big event. Racing at a Grand Prix !

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Good effort there Tim . The GT sports cars and the F5000 were the best to watch IMO. J. Bowe got a nice shunt up the rear in his Ascari while parked from a "P" car. Quinnie in the Aston Martin having probs with the electronic throttle POS --I don't think I'm a big fan of "fly by wire" throttle control --they do weird things unless they're set up in race mode

Trust that Pete was on his best behaviour for the duration :laugh:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Good effort there Tim . The GT sports cars and the F5000 were the best to watch IMO. J. Bowe got a nice shunt up the rear in his Ascari while parked from a "P" car. Quinnie in the Aston Martin having probs with the electronic throttle POS --I don't think I'm a big fan of "fly by wire" throttle control --they do weird things unless they're set up in race mode

Trust that Pete was on his best behaviour for the duration :laugh:

Of course, I had the handbrake with me!

It was a great effort by Tim in all races, hampered by a lack of grunt down the straight bits and PPPP....cars getting in his way on the twisty bits.
I managed to have a quick chat with Tim, thanks for spending the time mate. I reckon the in race videos will be terrific.
I also caught up with Bill Haramblankis in Pete's bar for a couple of quiet ones.
The Formula 5000 cars and the Gt sports cars were the highlight for me as well, along with the formula Fords. Some great young talent in that category.

That was a weekend full of highs and lows !!
Pete & Bill, thanks for swinging by. It was great to catch up with you both. Sorry i couldn't come for a beer, but we were a bit busy with race tape and fibreglass.......
The "racing" :

Practice & Qualifying:
I tried to be conservative and stay out of trouble. Difficult to get any decent clear laps in with all the safety cars. We had three safety car periods in 20minute qualifying!! But was happy enough with 3rd in class (20th overall)

Race 1: Made a good start and had passed both my class competitors and had a nice inside line for Turn 1.. Next thing i know there's a black prosche travelling at warp speed ON THE GRASS. He slams into the F430 in front of me, and then bounces backward straight into my nose. Resultant damage caused front tyre to smoke very badly. Radio chat was that i would be black flagged, so i came in.. - DNF
Race 2: Having DNF'd, i was near the back of the grid for this one. Didn't matter though, we never really made it past the start line !!!

Video of R2 start: Race 2 start on Vimeo
Race was red flagged.

Race 3:
Were were under strict instructions not to pass before T3, so as to avoid a start-line incident and to make sure "it looks better on TV" - !!!!!!
I took it very easy and followed Theo Kondouris and Michael Loccissano as they worked through. Again, taking it safely and not wanting to be the one who red flagged the race, i had a really good dice with Loccissano. Passing him and having him pass me back. Eventually i came out in front when the race was stopped (due to yet another huge crash!!) and finished 19th after starting 34th, after just 5 laps.

I did manage to post fastest race lap in Challenge class. Though still a long way from what i feel the car can do. So race 3 was good while it lasted.

I don't think i need to comment on the incidents and starts etc. They speak volumes for themselves..........

I don't think i will be back to GT series. I really did not feel safe out there. I feel a little disappointed that i didn't get to really show what we can do. But i don't think it's worth the risk to prove anything to anyone. I know this little car is a gem. So i'm going to take it elsewhere and drive it .. probably back in the State level series we have run in the past.

Off to Mount Panorama this weekend... can't wait for that..

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Tim, are you racing at Bathurst? I will be there also, so will try and catch up with you again. I thought you put on a great show in race three do you have any footage of that?

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Tim,
next time you do a rolling start a light pressure on the brake pedal will control your speed rather than on and off the go pedal.

bring your wets to Bathurst, see you there

Yes Pete, we are off the The Mountain. Our first time there.

The cars were wheeled out of the truck today. Quick spanner check. Polish the race tape holding the front clam together, then back into the truck for thursdays trek to Bathurst..

There is stacks of in-car from the GP, but finding time to edit and host will be a challenge.

Trevor, yes the wets are packed. I think i would much rather a dry weekend though!!

Tim,
Not the best intro to GT series !
What type of fuel do you use in your car ? I am just on the limit, if it is wet at Bathurst I should be OK if it is dry I may have to coast down Conrod staight.
Iain

We use shell 102 octane unleaded. Should have some spare if you need it. Let me know and i will bring some extra.

Thanks for the offer Tim, we are oblidged to use 109 octane in an attempt to keep up with you, so lets hope it rains

Iain

Back