Occoneechee Orange County Speedway Car/Race Car Event

Ron Earp

Admin
Jeff, Ed, and I went down to the Okanechee Orange County Speedway car show and revival this afternoon and took the T70, TR8, and Ed’s new ITS Z car. The car show was located at the old Okanechee Orange County Speedway, about 25 miles West of Raleigh near Hillsbourgh and closed up in 1968. It is being preserved by the Historical Speedway Group:

http://historicspeedwaygroup.org/

The track has a huge NASCAR and roundy round history and promised a pretty good turnout for race cars. In short, the car show was pretty good with a couple of hundred street cars and maybe 25-35 historic race cars. I drove the Lola to the event, about 35 miles, and it was pretty enjoyable. A bit hot, but it was a hot day. Car performed flawlessly.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Here are a few pictures from the event and a short video of the drive around of the one mile oval track situated in the woods. Yep, one mile, in the woods. If you like old race cars you might like the video. Jeff would know more about the cars that we saw at the track as he is something of a NASCAR history buff, but some of these predated NASCAR. There were some cars there with remnants of wooden frame and I swear some of the roll cages were made from cast plumbing pipe. Check out the history of the place on the website, it is interesting.

YouTube - OKANECHEE-ORANGE COUTY SPEEDWAY

Few pictures; Ed and Jeff at the TR8, T70, Mercury on the "grid", and what Jeff's truck looks like about to run over the yellow car.
<o:p></o:p>

Attachments

• IMG_6451.JPG
    IMG_6451.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_6450.JPG
    IMG_6450.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_6453.JPG
    IMG_6453.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 269
  • Jeff's Truck from the Lola view.jpg