Current LMP replica – is it possible?

Hi all

I’ve had a bit of spare time while waiting for various jobs to be done on my GT40 build and have started thinking about what my next build could be. I’d like a light weight track only car, maybe something like an Ultima or SL-C but what I love about the GT40 is the iconic looks.

That got me thinking about the current LMP cars which I think look great (not everyone agrees). So let’s say I could get a body and the exterior parts from a current LMP car do you think it would be possible to adapt them to fit something like an SL-C chassis as I think trying to either get hold of or engineer a Le mans style carbon chassis is a step too far.

The reason I ask is that I am thinking of starting to collect a few parts here and there while building the GT40 so I have something to concentrate on during the periods I get when something is being sorted on the 40 and also to line something else up once it’s finished.

It seems anything is possible looking at some of the scratch builds on here so what do you think, thoughts and comments welcome

Trev

Also I know it's ambitious thinking about the 'next project' without having finished my first one but I think having something to focus my attention to when the GT40 build is sometimes stationary would be a good thing

Trev

Trev,
No harm in dreaming. I always think abotu my next GT. I'll (hopefully) have a bigger budget and will have learnt fromt he first build...

Brett

Trev - Agreed, I think the LMP style looks great. One challenge may be getting a current chassis flat enough to fit under the very low body.

PA270009_1024.jpg

one potential issue

The LMP cars have quite a long wheelbase, and will work best with a transaxle where the diff is behind the gear stack. Leaves you using an expensive racing transaxle, or a Corvette type arrangement (diff stuck on back of gearbox). But the Vett'e rear end will not be load bearing, so the chassis gets pretty long and potentially flexible.

Howard Jones

Supporter
How about this one? I had LONG look at using a GTD modified chassis and my own bodywork to do one of these as I had a idea where to get one. Pretty simple concept and it could be done for about the same cost as most other ideas like this. The radiators are what nixed the project for me along with the fact that a SLC could be converted to a street car if I wanted to do that in the future.

A space frame car with simple alum pannel body work like this Lola could be done given the skills and work space. Chevy SB V8, Porsche GB, copy another kit suspension geometery. BAM! trackcar!

Another idea would be to rebody a Ulitma.

Attachments

• 71_Lola_Chevy_T260_CanAm_DV-06_BnB_01.jpg
    71_Lola_Chevy_T260_CanAm_DV-06_BnB_01.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 451
  • 71-Lola-Chevy-T260-CanAm-DV-09_BH-01.jpg
    71-Lola-Chevy-T260-CanAm-DV-09_BH-01.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
If it is purely a track car why not consider just purchasing an used LMP car?

There are a few up for sale from Lola B2K's to Cadillac's and for prices that probably aren't much higher than you'd invest in adapting or developing your own car.

At the end of the day with a true LMP car you are going to get a car that has had a money is no object design philosophy and it will hold it's value or even increase as it gets older.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I know for sure that I could not support a advanced car like that at the track. Let alone the maintance required. Time change suspension parts, carbon fiber repairs, racegas costs, racetires (real ones not dot radials) engine tuning and gearbox costs would be WAY beyond any reasonable track day car budget.

The other thing is it would be VERY hard to run it alone without a small crew. The last thing is not many of us would be able to DRIVE one of these things anywhere near their performace envelope. I'm being kind on this one. It would VERY ugly to end up in the way of the Maitas!

But if you must. Reily (sp?) will sell you one of their DP cars ready to run at about $180K.

The DP car would be more practicable, however, the SL-C can easily achieve the same performance and has (to me anyway) more pleasing lines. It can also be built
for far less than the Riley track day car.

I think a full on ex LMP car would probably not be the best option. As Howard says I don't think running the car would be the easiest and also I don't think I would be able to afford the initial outlay of that kind of money. That's the benefit of building up a car, you can buy a little bit at a time.

Does anyone have any idea how much a body would cost from an LMP car? I really like the Lola B09/60's but I also see spuds point about the length of the wheel base being an issue as I imagine the SL-C is much shorter

20.jpg

Trev

I've just emailed Lola's sales department as their website doesn't list any information on parts and after sales for their cars. Does anyone know if lola sell parts to privateers or are they very secretative about cars and parts?

Trevor

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Trev
their prices will make your toes curl....the cost to run a real high end racer is incredible...the transaxles are about $40-50k and are only good for about 30hrs between rebuilds...engines far more...

The SLC is similar in wheelbase to the LMP cars.

Howard..a new DP car roller is approx $400,000...
The Riley weekend gentlemans racer, not a DP starts at 180k

The Bentley has to be one of the best looking Le Mans cars of the recent past...yumm!!

Why don't you just look at the current crop of SCCA C or D sports racers. While nearly all of them are open cockpit, they look and drive like smaller LMP cars. Danged fast too.

Used ones can be had in the $40K range. Some have paddle shifters, most have sequential boxes. Many, but not all run modified motorcycle engines. Most will reach 160+ MPH.

MKS_9863__800.jpg

Agreed Fran, very expensive.

The dimensions of the Lola are as follows, how does an SL-C compare size wise?

Length, 4534mm
Width, 1990mm
Height: 1100mm
Wheelbase, 2790mm

Trev

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
<TABLE border=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Length:.........4267mm - excluding rear wing
Width:..........1880mm

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Height:.........1092mm</TD></TR><TR><TD>Wheelbase:...2667mm</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
From the Superlite website

Looking at some side profile pictures of each overall the shape is very similar throughout with the rear of the LMP greater than the SL-C.

slc-comparison.jpg

Wow, Fran, those are pretty close. I really like the SLC, but turn it into a LMP look-a-like....and I may have to open up a space in my garrage.

<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Length:.........4267mm - excluding rear wing
Width:..........1880mm

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Height:.........1092mm</TD></TR><TR><TD>Wheelbase:...2667mm</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
From the Superlite website

Thanks Fran, sorry I did look but think I am a little tired. Been a long day

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Ron...no problem...if you want an RR special....You only have to fund the development and the moulds...wink

The white race #18 with the scoops and tail and new gooseneck mounted wing is even closer...

Last edited:
Back