The Senna documentary

I just saw the movie "Senna" and really enjoyed it. It showed sides of him I didn't know about --and left off some of the controversial stuff I remember from the period. But overall, very much worth seeing, if you ever wondered about the commitment that F1 drivers need to have, or the politics that infest the pinnacle of motorsports.

And of course, I can never get enough footage of F1 cars of that era- they looked so good, especially the John Barnard cars of the Prost-Senna era.

For what its worth I was listening to National Public Radio this a.m. on the way to work & their movie critic (a highly respected chap) praised the movie, er, I mean documentary and said it contained shots of Senna inside the car and all footage shown in the movie was real. He also mentioned the insightful nature of the film and appeared to give it a very solid review. I've got it on my "saved" list with Netflix.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
For what its worth I was listening to National Public Radio this a.m. on the way to work & their movie critic (a highly respected chap) praised the movie, er, I mean documentary and said it contained shots of Senna inside the car and all footage shown in the movie was real. He also mentioned the insightful nature of the film and appeared to give it a very solid review. I've got it on my "saved" list with Netflix.

Same kind of reaction in the Wall Street Journal review. It includes previously unseen driver's meeting footage.

Same kind of reaction in the Wall Street Journal review. It includes previously unseen driver's meeting footage.

Yeah- Jean Marie Balestre comes off looking like just the idiot he was reputed to be. You have to see it to believe it. Hard to imagine that the FIA let that driver's meeting footage be taken in the first place, or saved in the second.

The movie clearly shows the rancid odor of politics in the FIA.

I saw it Thursday - JBM ....what a TWIT.....reminds me of Edmonson. Some of the promo for the film says "dramatic drivers meeting footage". HA, if that was dramatic you have not been in too many drivers meetings. Pretty tame stuff considering the egos involved.

I agree the cars were beautiful back then, today NOT.

They make Prost out to be a bit of a weasel, but then this is not a film about Prost.
Good film that anyone interested in top level racing should see, intense dedication, sometimes ultimate sacrifice..

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
They make Prost out to be a bit of a weasel, but then this is not a film about Prost.

A review I read before seeing the movie said the same thing, and yet when I was done with it Prost just seemed to me a bit more rational and sane than Senna. But maybe I just missed it. Can you remember any details that lead to that?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
They make Prost out to be a bit of a weasel, but then this is not a film about Prost
Posted by Mesa

Guys, Prost was a weasel!

I remember hearing an interview with Eddie Cheever who was team mates with Prost a McLaren.

He called him "that wiley little Frenchman" and said it was like being team mates with an assasin!

Great movie by the way, I won't spoil the ending:)

I just wish they had shown that first lap a Donnington!

A review I read before seeing the movie said the same thing, and yet when I was done with it Prost just seemed to me a bit more rational and sane than Senna. But maybe I just missed it. Can you remember any details that lead to that?

They make a point of Prost's friendship with JMB, showing them all huggie kissiee. Then when they have the collision at the chicane the film makes a point showing Prost hotfooting it directly to the stewards office (suggesting a chat with his buddy). Then Senna gets DQed by the JMB - Implying Prost had influenced the decision.

One thing is painfully clear JMB was an idiot, first class.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
They make a point of Prost's friendship with JMB, showing them all huggie kissiee. Then when they have the collision at the chicane the film makes a point showing Prost hotfooting it directly to the stewards office (suggesting a chat with his buddy). Then Senna gets DQed by the JMB - Implying Prost had influenced the decision.

One thing is painfully clear JMB was an idiot, first class.

OK, I see. At the time I guess I blamed JMB more for the obvious conflict of interest since he's the one in power, but OTOH, Prost wasn't exactly shying away.... Yeah I love the idiotic "My decision is the best decision but you don't know what it is" sequence: clearly a guy who loves lording his power over others. I'm sure he was a hall monitor in grade school.

Back