44 Years Ago

Jim Clark - Hockenheim 1968

God rest his soul.:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:
So glad to have witnessed his fantastic skills! :pleased::pleased::pleased::pleased:

And my all time hero, got picked up by him once when hitch hiking near his home in Duns, Scotland, very quiet unassuming farmer who picked up two teanagers miles from anywhere, never said a word about himself to us but I was just in awe of sitting beside my hero in a battered Land Rover, Frank,

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I had the distinct honor of seeing him race once, the 1967 USGP at Watkins Glen where he won with the right rear wheel 'askew". I also secured his autograph at that event. It was a sad day in April when word of his accident and death came over the radio.

I wonder what he would think of some of the current drivers and their "prima donna" actions??????

A driver who thoroughly deserves the respect he still gets.
My hero Jim.
R.I.P.

Frank, if my move to the U.K. happens I would love to buy you a drink and listen to that story.

Tim.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Rick,

As I remember, that win at Watkins Glen was the only GP won by the incredably complicated BRM H16 motor, a three liter 16 cylinder, eight cam motor.

I was lucky enough to see Mr Clark at the first race I ever attended. It was at the 1963 or 1964 USRRC at Laguna Saca. He drove a beautiful, yet painfully slow Lotus 30.

RIP Jim Clark, thanks for the memories.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
David,

I thought I was the only person to remember The Golden Gate Raceway at Cotati. I attended what I think was the last race ever held there.

It was 1970 or 71, an SCCA Regonal race, I was crew for a very quick Cooper S, C Sedan.

It rained and we won. I remember taking a lap on the way out, the track was old, rough, overgrown, and kind of sad in the rain.

Last edited:
Yeah, old airfield that was rough and dangerous.

BTW, the only street GT40 I ever saw was there . . . .

I was "overseas" in '71--'72 and missed the fun.

cheers,

David,

I thought I was the only person to remember The Golden Gate Raceway at Cotati. I attended what I think was the last race ever held there.

It was 1970 or 71, an SCCA Regonal race, I was crew for a very quick Cooper S, C Sedan.

It rained and we won. I remember taking a lap on the way out, the track was old, rough, overgrown, and kind of sad in the rain.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Rick,

As I remember, that win at Watkins Glen was the only GP won by the incredably complicated BRM H16 motor, a three liter 16 cylinder, eight cam motor.

I was lucky enough to see Mr Clark at the first race I ever attended. It was at the 1963 or 1964 USRRC at Laguna Saca. He drove a beautiful, yet painfully slow Lotus 30.

RIP Jim Clark, thanks for the memories.

Jim,

The 1967 Glen race was won by the Lotus 47 with the Ford/Cosworth 3.0 DFV V8. The "H16" BRM engine had been abandoned earlier in the season.

1967 United States Grand Prix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Never the less, I can say say I saw Jimmy Clark race (and win!) in person. Damn, that makes me REALLY old!

Jimmy was one of the last of the "class act" drivers. Mr. Gurney is another from that era that has earned total respect and has not sullied his reputation.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Rick,

The memory starts to go, mine and yours.

It seems that Jim Clark won the 1966 US GP in a Lotus 43 with the BRM H16, it's only win.

He won in 1967 in the Lotus "49" with the Cosworth.

The Lotus 47 was the Europa racer.

And finally Jimmy and Dan..........class act in spades!

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Rick,

The memory starts to go, mine and yours.

It seems that Jim Clark won the 1966 US GP in a Lotus 43 with the BRM H16, it's only win.

He won in 1967 in the Lotus "49" with the Cosworth.

The Lotus 47 was the Europa racer.

And finally Jimmy and Dan..........class act in spades!

Jim,

Right YOU are.

What were we talking about? The good thing about Alzheimers is you meet so many new people everyday................

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
There were a lot of gentleman drivers then, weren't there....more than there are now, I'm afraid. At least in the top ranks.

Even with his rather short career, Clark is still considered one of the all time great race drivers. some folks feel he might have proved to be the best ever, had he lived.

Just came across a few old photos I took back in the 60s.
Jimmy (of course!), Bruce, Dan, Chris, Jo,
Those were the days you could get next to the track and with no fencing.....
Enjoy.

Attachments

• CCF13052012_0000.jpg
    CCF13052012_0000.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 397
  • CCF15052012_0000.jpg
    CCF15052012_0000.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 418
  • CCF15052012_0001.jpg
    CCF15052012_0001.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 406
  • CCF15052012_0002.jpg
    CCF15052012_0002.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 487
  • CCF15052012_0005.jpg
    CCF15052012_0005.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 514
That Gurney Eagle was beautiful for sure. Gotta (not) love those wanna-be roll hoops! It was tragic the rate which drivers were killed in that era. We look today and see how many world champions still racing in F1? (and we would have a few more had Schoomy not hogged 7 all to himself)

Back then you might be lucky to find that many world champions still alive (?)

Er... What is happening with the driver in pic 4...?

Tim.

He is leaving the pits at Brands Hatch and he obviously felt he needed more than the information coming from his mirrors to make a safe exit.
The problem was that the exit was at an angle to the track, was on a rising slope and had a high pit wall making it difficult to see clearly what was happening on the pit straight.

He is leaving the pits at Brands Hatch and he obviously felt he needed more than the information coming from his mirrors to make a safe exit.
The problem was that the exit was at an angle to the track, was on a rising slope and had a high pit wall making it difficult to see clearly what was happening on the pit straight.

Of course! Thanks. :)

And thanks for the wonderful pictures!

Tim.

Sir Jack Brabham managed 3 championships, now thats cool!
Pity he has not such a large profile here in Oz.
Legend in my book.

Speaking of Jack, here is one of him from the 60s.

Along with a mini at Druids in typical pose!

Attachments

• CCF15052012_0009a.jpg
    CCF15052012_0009a.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 425
  • CCF15052012_0003.jpg
    CCF15052012_0003.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 528
Back