The great race Bathurst

Re: The great race Bathurst.

A quick trip around the mountain for those that have never seen it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM4QpKaTNtc]Fastest Ever Recorded Lap at Mount Panorama, Bathurst - In Car with Allan Simonsen - YouTube[/ame]

not a place for the feint hearted.

cheers John

I must admit Pete, I'd love to see the Malborough livery win again, and if anyone can do it Craig can, but we'll have to wait and see. as you no anything can and dose happen on that mountain.
cheers John

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

Pete

I'm sure some American politician and spin doctor could make it better by making it only have "left" hand turns only

I love the race but normally only get to see the highlights a few weeks later

Ian

Keith

I must admit Pete, I'd love to see the Malborough livery win again, and if anyone can do it Craig can, but we'll have to wait and see. as you no anything can and dose happen on that mountain.
cheers John

Unless those danged Ford boys stick a bag in his grill on the Mountain.... again... :)

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

A quick trip around the mountain for those that have never seen it.

Fastest Ever Recorded Lap at Mount Panorama, Bathurst - In Car with Allan Simonsen - YouTube

not a place for the feint hearted.

cheers John

Great vid! It's amazing how some drivers make doing what they do look like a casual search for a parking spot at a local mall. 'Remarkable.

(An aside: What some refer to as a "mountain" makes me smile a bit sometimes. For instance, where I reside, people would consider Mt. Panorama and the surrounding area as 'rolling hills'! [No offense intended.])

Not much of a mountain, but I love watching races on that track....

Sort of the "Spa of the southern hemisphere."

No not much of a mountain, but once you have actually driven or walked the circuit you begin to appreciate just how steep the climb is, then the actual drop thru the dipper etc, thats something else, I doubt there are many that have not felt a bit of tension in the rear end on their first lap...:)

No not much of a mountain, but once you have actually driven or walked the circuit you begin to appreciate just how steep the climb is, then the actual drop thru the dipper etc, thats something else, I doubt there are many that have not felt a bit of tension in the rear end on their first lap...:)

As 90% of the track is public rd, i drove around it many years ago in a 67 VC Valiant, not the ideal race car agreed, but even at a conservitive hi way speed going up and then coming down that hill is bloody scarey, its a helluva lot steeper than it looks.
cheers John

Not much of a mountain, but I love watching races on that track....

Sort of the "Spa of the southern hemisphere."
try driving the mountain in a 1600c rental, you don't have to slow for the corners going up because you can't go fast enough and driving con rod straight at the speed limit - it takes for ever, then leap into the race machine and the whole thing takes on a new dimension, where you thought a corner was gently banked, you suddenly find that there is a funny hollow that unsettles the car so much you visit the barrier, and I never get to complete a circuit on my first visit at race speed.

"" A 500-mile seven-hour race was run in Australia in October on the tough and punishing Mount Panorama circuit at Bathurst. Only standard production line sedan models were permitted, with no optional extras fitted. The cars were divided into price, not engine capacity classes. Only eight of the 59 entries failed to finish.

Class A ; Up to $2,000
Class B ; $2,000 to $2,240
Class C ; $2,240 to $2,700
Class D ; $2700 up ""

This was 1964. Quoted from Sports Car Graphic January 1965. Page 15, 16 and 24.

For me it is interesting to read how it was.

Z.C.

Ford on pole for the great race :thumbsup:

For those who haven't seen Darrell Waltrip's descriptive lap of Mount Panorama, have a look at this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLkLtBkUVuo"]Waltrip's Ride Of A Lifetime - YouTube[/ame]

Clayton

Keith

Next year's Falcon... Looks good!

FordFalcon2013.jpg

what kind of car is it? Sounds like a Ferrari V8, but I can't tell anymore than that.

Austrailian built cars. Ford Falcon, and Holden Commodore's. The holden is sold in Europe/Britan as a Vaxhaul XXX and will be being sold in the USA as the top of the line chevy next year.

Both these cars are powered by pushrod boat anchor V8's. Very clever exhausts make them sound semi European. I read somewhere that one team runs an 8 into 1 system.

1st Holden by 0.3 of a second after over 6 hours racing.
2nd Ford
3rd Holden

Back