Brands Hatch last weekend.

Brands Hatch beckoned my 917 for the first time last weekend and despite the twisty and short circuit it behaved brilliantly. Using just one gear we were able to get fastest time overall for our class.
Unfortunately we were tapped into a spin going into Druids in the first race so no chance there. Minor damage thankfully and with spare pre-painted panels replacement/repair is made easier. Knowing the vunerability of the car and scarceness of "off the shelf" parts i determined to carry far more spares than i ever have with the GT40.
Snetterton, Donnington rounds to follow shortly so the new found power and the winter lightening will hopefully pay real dividends on these faster circuits.

Attachments

• DSC_0169.jpg
    DSC_0169.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC_0233.jpg
    DSC_0233.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC_0253.jpg
    DSC_0253.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC_0334.jpg
    DSC_0334.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC_0344.jpg
    DSC_0344.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 245
Sadly John,

not my pictures, but sent to me in that format. I,m hopeing that some better ones will be available from other sources.

Keith

Well now that looked like fun Graham - dicing with Caterhams around the short bits. It's a great Lotus style track as I found out many times wrestling my IROC Camaro and Firebird around there back in the day with '47's, 11's and 7's everywhere..

Anything else interesting on the entry list?

Keith,

yes, sure was interesting. Full grid of 32 cars with the Sports Racing and GTs mixed together with the Sports Specials championship. In our series we had Lotus Europa, 11 and 23s, 7 ltr J2Allard and Cobra, GT40, Nomad, Jaguar, etc.

A good race weekend though which really gave me the chance to push the 917 on the very twisty and demanding "Indy" circuit for the first time. Very satisfying and demanding fun.

Shot in the dark here Graham, that wouldn't have been Jim Tiller's J2 would it?

Keith,

it was a light green highly modified 7 ltr Chevy engined J2, with monster disk brakes and an air scoop on the bonnet that would suck in another car !!!! It is owned by John Plant.

Just can,t get my head around those two pictures that Mike has sent through from the US.
How did he do that and where did he find them ??

Keith , you are the font of all knowledge .... tell me if Mike does,nt.

PhillipH and Jamesst (Steve),

thankyou so much as well for the "knowledge" and the pictures. I had no idea that such good shots had been taken.

PhillipH and Jamesst (Steve),

thankyou so much as well for the "knowledge" and the pictures. I had no idea that such good shots had been taken.

I suppose that with such an iconic and eye catching car, it's bound to attract the attention of photographers.

Nice photos, by the way, Jamesst.

I can't tell you how inspiring those photo's are James! I really must dedicate the funds necessary to finish my folly and get out and join Graham and his pals next season!

Mark,

yes, pull your finger out and get it up and running. Lets hope though, that you accept the inevitable "scarring" that racing brings. Brands saw me tapped on the o/s rear and spun out in the first race, and then in the following round at Snetterton i was side swiped all down the side with not only bodywork damage but a snapped rear lower rod end which finished my race.

I,m not saying that it happens all the time, but you can never keep a race car in concours condition.

Malcolm

Supporter
Car's looking good Graham. But your head looks really close to the door and window! Suppose it saves you needing a race seat with head restraints!!!!!

Have a good season

Back