Like more info on D Type options

Did not know where to post this, but hope some of you may be able to help.
I would really like to try and find a nice replica of a Jaguar D Type. I already found out Brian Wingfield and Lynx did a really good one, but trying to find one of those might be very difficult indeed (and probably very expensive).

Now I know Fran is also making one, but the problem overhere is getting it registered as it is a new car. So I would prefer to find a car from before 1998.

The D Type I would like to get should look like the real one (long nose Ecurie Ecosse), which in my view excludes the RAM, Revival or other 'cheaper' examples you sometimes come across.

Unfortunately, google didn't come up with a forum for D Types to learn more about the different D Type replicas, but if someone can help here that would be really appreciated.

John

If your looking for very original you should contact Dave Brown of Classic Developments in Invercargill New Zealand, just one of many on his list of can do.Would still probably be classed as a 'new' car for initial rego though unless you have some means of circuventing that.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Some pictures of a Classic Car Developments D-Type for your interest.

Attachments

• D 1.jpg
    D 1.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 363
  • D 3.jpg
    D 3.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 344
  • D 4.jpg
    D 4.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 295
A New Zealand outfit called Fine Sports Cars has been making very authentic D-type (and other) replicas for many, many years. Each is built to order and there is a substantial wait, but the results are worth it.

A friend has one of their D-types and it is extraordinary. Unlike the majority of UK replicas (which are bloody vile, a poor pastiche on the real thing), his car is virtually indistinguishable from the original.

It has enough Jaguar E-type DNA that it is registered and titled as such, I believe, meaning that you could easily run one where you are.

Here's a link:

Norman Dewis D-Type from Fine Sports Cars

They are in the Lynx/Wingfield price range, i.e. well past $100K, perhaps nudging $200K new. My friend got his used for much less than that however....

This pic is inside Oamaru W/Shop of Mikes Post#3 where that car is built, used to trade under 'Tempero Motor Bodies' IIRC before the 'fine sports cars' outfit bought it or the rights to some cars. Think the father has retired & now operated by son at southern end of Oamaru. They do a lot more than just Jags as photo shows.

Last edited:
Why is it when Jac posts 75 percent of his photos include something made out of wood in New Zealand ?:laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
Why is it when Jac posts 75 percent of his photos include something made out of wood in New Zealand ?:laugh::laugh:

75%, is it really that bad? surely not,guess it comes from all the things we do from zero rather than just fronting up at the door with a plastic card..., bit sad that the San Diego based outfit couldnt find anyone in the whole USA to build the D-Types for them, small potatoes in the big picture anyway as I see Mike from nerdland considers us all a bunch of internet junkies, still you expect that from folk with compressed spines due to airborne snowmobile antics...how does that saying go...the takeoff was brilliant, landings need work..:)

Thanks guys!

Will study these companies, although never thought of getting one from the other side of the world. I know the world is a lot smaller these days with internet and all that, but to me this feels like the other side of the world. Not bad, but far, far away.
I really thought there must be a couple of options in the UK, which is of course a lot closer to where I live and I can easier hop over the pond.

If your looking for very original you should contact Dave Brown of Classic Developments in Invercargill New Zealand, just one of many on his list of can do.Would still probably be classed as a 'new' car for initial rego though unless you have some means of circuventing that.

That will be very difficult indeed. I have spoken a lot with someone who knew how to do this and actually did so, but the man that helped them and turned an eye got busted and that route is closed. Which is also the reason in the end I opted to get an older GTD40 instead of a new Southern GT or Superformance.

I was told by a 'Jaguar man' I should get a Jaguar E Type 2+2 as a donor, have the chassis shortened by 10 cm and get a good alu body from the UK (or anywhere else). However, I would need a good workshop to help me build the car as I simply can't do it all by myself. Finding a good example might be a better option.

John

A New Zealand outfit called Fine Sports Cars has been making very authentic D-type ...

They are in the Lynx/Wingfield price range, i.e. well past $100K, perhaps nudging $200K new. My friend got his used for much less than that however....

That is quite a price range, getting one for 100K leaves a nice budget to use the car as intended. Here's hoping...

John

Back