Ford v6 turbo DP sets new Daytona record

Ford ecoboost v6 twin turbo daytona prototype sets new Daytona lap record

Ford EcoBoost V6 Engine powers Braun, MSR to new speed records at Daytona | News | Motorsport.com

Colin Braun drove a Riley Technologies Daytona Prototype race car, powered by the new 3.5-liter, V-6 Ford EcoBoost race engine, to a new Daytona single lap speed record of 222.971 mph during a special record run attempt today, topping the 26-year-old speed record of 210.364 mph set by Bill Elliott in a Ford Thunderbird during qualifying for the 1987 Daytona 500.
New Track Record Set - YouTube

King of Speed: 3.5L V6 EcoBoost Has Record-Setting Day in Daytona - YouTube

s1_1.jpg

Ron Earp

Admin
Pretty car. I like the graphics and it's neat that Ford is doing some racing with the Ecoboost engines. I have a new F150 with the Ecoboost and I love it. Just towed the 700 mile round trip to Roebling Road with it and got 10.1 MPG, on regular 87 octane cheap gas, with a 8XXX lbs trailer. Very quiet, extremely torquey, and I think it's a great power plant. Knock on wood.

I'll second that, Ron.

I just bought a 2014 Exploder Sport with the Ecoboost engine as my new 'beater' SUV and so far I'm impressed with the torque of this little V6 in a near 4900 lb vehicle. Although, it is quiet, maybe too quiet...

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Hats off to ford and ecoboost, I'm a high tech kind of guy but also hats off to the past record holder (Bill Elliott in a Ford Thunderbird) for driving a flying brick to that record!

Thanks for sharing

Jack

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Didn't Mark Donahue do a lap or two with the Porsche Can Am Car a bit faster?

Malcolm

Supporter
Pretty car. I like the graphics and it's neat that Ford is doing some racing with the Ecoboost engines. I have a new F150 with the Ecoboost and I love it. Just towed the 700 mile round trip to Roebling Road with it and got 10.1 MPG, on regular 87 octane cheap gas, with a 8XXX lbs trailer. Very quiet, extremely torquey, and I think it's a great power plant. Knock on wood.

Ron, are you saying the 10 mpg is good? I know you were towing but that doesn't seem good to me. When I tow with my 2005 Nissan I get 19 mpg with a 6xxx lbs trailer attached and loaded with family and boating stuff. And thats our twisty little roads! When towing the miata I easily get 30+ mpg as the tow car doesn't know its there really and when not towing we recently drove up north and back avergaing 37 mpg.

Knock 10 or 12% off these numbers as our gallons are bigger than yours but still these are good numbers. And this from a 2.4 litre four pot diesel tubo with only 175 bhp. May not do a 1/4 mile in 10 seconds like your truck did though..... :)

A good 700 - 800 hp SLC could do this too. Would want to build a special one to take the loads tho. Would need Continental to give you some tires, & Daytona some track time.
Oh well, maybe someday.
Noticed they took the mirrors off the Riley for less drag.

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron, are you saying the 10 mpg is good? I know you were towing but that doesn't seem good to me. When I tow with my 2005 Nissan I get 19 mpg with a 6xxx lbs trailer attached and loaded with family and boating stuff. And thats our twisty little roads! When towing the miata I easily get 30+ mpg as the tow car doesn't know its there really and when not towing we recently drove up north and back avergaing 37 mpg.

Knock 10 or 12% off these numbers as our gallons are bigger than yours but still these are good numbers. And this from a 2.4 litre four pot diesel tubo with only 175 bhp. May not do a 1/4 mile in 10 seconds like your truck did though..... :)

Yep, 10.X in a gasser with a 8000+ lbs enclosed trailer is pretty good. The key part is enclosed trailer, with the large flat surface area. That’s a big difference over an open trailer and has far more drag. I suspect that your truck would be down in the same range hooked up to my trailer and drinking US gallons.

551970_4601377882196_471673336_n.jpg

I’ve written about your truck on other forums as it is not offered in the US. I think there should be a small diesel option for SUV’s and trucks (Dodge is to offer a 3L diesel in their 1500 RAM truck) as it makes good sense. However, the typical diesel truck in the US doesn’t have a significant MPG advantage over a gasser (diesel fanbois are gonna hate) when real fuel economy is discussed. My racer friends that have them, Jeff and Mike, acknowledge that their diesels don't generate efficiency to offset the diesel fuel cost (it's higher than gas in the US), they just like having a big diesel truck.

The current diesel trucks offered in the US are large, heavy, and have engines that are overkill for a hobby racer (current Ford/RAM/Chevy are like 400hp/800tq). They can certainly tow more effortlessly than most any gasser, no doubt there, but you pay for it with a ponderous truck, as if there was a non-ponderous truck in the US. Buta 3L diesel in a 150/1500 truck, that might be just the ticket.

Yep, the old Lightning was a good truck. It's still around but mine couldn't hit any 10s 1/4 times. It was capable of 12s though, probably have that timeslip, as well as the window sticker, brochures, sales stuff, SVT materials, and so on. My dad has it down at his house keeping it for awhile so that I can sort out what to do with it.

Or actually, sort out what to do with cars in general. I have thoughts from time to time of making some changes in the stable. I could go back to towing with the Lightning, and then get a kick ass Mustang to drive daily and to run car pool with. Or, I could sell the Lightning, and maybe the Torino, and get a really kick ass Mustang to do the same.

Malcolm

Supporter
The frontal area is what makes the difference in towing as I see it and yes your enclosed trailers are worse in that regard over my boat. The legal limit for towing with my Nissan is 3000 kgs but it is rated to carry 1000kg at the same time. In the UK it is a hefty vehicle. It weighs about 2.25 tonnes but can do 0-60 in 12 odd seconds which is quick for a big 4*4 here. Forget 1/4 miles times!!!!!! It may not be as comfy or as sporty in ride as an Audi Q7 or Range Rover or BMW X5 but in performance terms it is right up there and at a fraction of the cost. Diesel is a bit more pricey over here too compared to petrol. The petrol version of my car would be very scary in mpg terms!

Your trailer looks very cool and comfy. No wonder it weighs so much! :)

Back