Helmut, Harness and Apparel

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
My race gear is becoming outdated (and so am I) --I'd be interested in international experiences and reviews in this regard and be budget conscious
Our local tracks are becoming more stringent ie demanding the use of "Hans" device --which means new helmut and harness etc all FIA approved
Open sports cars require full face helmut that is intercom ,anti fogging, breather friendly and Hans compliant.
The harness I've shown is for single seaters and the drivers of such must be well endowed therefore the leg straps must not encroach the wedding tackle --which is a 6 point harness, 2 " over the shoulder ( the 5 point must only be for wimen ? )
Then there's cool suits, balaclavas, woollen undergarments, nomex gloves, boots etc etc

Attachments

• 04796H_-_Black.jpg
    04796H_-_Black.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 227
  • Arm_Restraint_-_Black.jpg
    Arm_Restraint_-_Black.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 217
  • Sparco_WTX5_Helmet.jpg
    Sparco_WTX5_Helmet.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 203
  • Schroth_30deg_Pro_Hans.jpg
    Schroth_30deg_Pro_Hans.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 199

Ron Earp

Admin
We've been required the use of a Hans for a few years now. To use the Hans easily you'll want some high quality belts - Willians, Schroth, and others, that have nice smooth adjusters that allow you to really get the belts snug, and stay snug. And, in my experience you'll want some 2" wide shoulder belts as they will work with the Hans properly and stay on the device.

Make sure the Hans has the little wings to help the belt stay on, but the only way you wouldn't get one with wings now is to get an old used one. I have the cheapest "sportsman" level of Hans and it works fine. Oh, also make sure Hans has a sliding tether where it hooks to your helmet, but again I think that is standard now.

Ron,

interesting that you say you will need two inch belts there in the United States.

Over here those narrower belts are not allowed in circuit racing and we have to have 3inch wide belts.

Flatchat,

all our belts, helmets, underwear, top coverings etc must be FIA compliant.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Schroth also makes an FIA legal belt that's specifically for formula/lay back seating positions and is have a narrower section of 2 inch webbing to accommodate the any head restraint system (HANS etc), the rest of the shoulder harness is standard 3 inch width....this is becoming the standard now with any harness manufacturers...The Schroth belt has a nice quick release system on the shoulder belts too for driver swaps btw..

Pat

Supporter
What some formula racers have done here is to sew a small foldover on the three inch belts (narrowing them to two for about six inches) where the belt meets the HANS on the shoulder. The foldover is facing the little lip that retains the strap on the HANS. They tell me it works great at keeping the belts centered on the shoulder.
I haven't heard any TECH comment on the practice but it seems to work for those that try it.,

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron,

interesting that you say you will need two inch belts there in the United States.

Over here those narrower belts are not allowed in circuit racing and we have to have 3inch wide belts.

Fran has it right. The Schroth belts I have happen to be FIA, but they have a narrower 2" section them. Not all racing in the US requires FIA certs.

The 3" belts can be problematic on the Hans devices. I used to have some very basic cheap 3" belts and they didn't fit on the Hans shoulder area as well as they should have done.

Pat,
Thanks for that info on folding the belts. My 3" belts tend to chafe the neck and I wasn't looking forward to buying new belts.

Bill

+ 1 for Ron's comments.
I've got a pro hans (special group buy) and it has next to no wings for the belts. If I had my time again I would get the sportsman II, it has large wings and an adjustable angle. Good if you happen to drive an open wheeler and touring car !!
They are heavier, but once seated and belted up, no real difference.
If you are of a smaller build or have broken your collar bone in the past, change the pads to the gel ones. Your collar bones will thank you.
If you can cross the belts behind you, that helps in keeping them from sliding off, not practical in a 40 though.
If you have a belt bar right behind you and the belts are at the right angle across your shoulders now, think about raising it the thickness of the hans.
It makes it much more comfortable.

Clayton

I think you would have to be fairly short to have enough room behind the seat for a bar. I am 5-9 and there is no room. Most of the seats for a 6 point have slots for the belts, so I don't think you could raise them enough to benefit.

Bill

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Good info...
I know most of this gear is "lifed" --boots and gloves seem to desintergrate after only an active season . Harness is lifed at about 5 years

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Depends. I have a ten year old pair of Sparco boots. Only ones I've ever owned. Gloves, I've had some last 5 seasons and others last only one or two (Sparco and OMP). DRivers suits seem to last depending almost completely on how you take care of them. I've had some last 4-5 years and others just a year or two. Latest Sparco was the biggest piece of crap I've owned. Seat is worn out and zipper broken twice in 2 years.

Helmets generally do not wear.

Belts have a 2 year or 5 year mandated shelf life in the US depending on whether they are SFI or FIA certified.

Wow, that's a lot of different safety equipment. No belts, for me....if I get into an accident I want to be thrown clear!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcHIWQduLjk[/ame]

Back