Thompson Speedway is reborn

After many years of neglect the road course portion of the Thompson Speedway in Connecticut has been rebuilt.

Someone posted an in-car video of the road course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtZweEVyBlE

(if you watch the video, ignore the car's data in the bottom corner for the first couple of laps)

If it'll help watch the video, you can see the course map at:
Track Layouts | Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park
(I think it's the full 1.7 mile road course)

It's an hour from Boston, so it's a lot closer than Watkins Glen.

My first exposure to road racing, I was heartbroken when the road course closed down many years ago. This was also the first big-time course I had ever driven on. I was surprised by how deep the ruts were on the 'groove' sections of the oval track turns and how steep the banking was. Still have some pictures of the races. Cars out on the track back then included Norton Coopers, Mini S's, a Cheetah or two, P1800's, etc.
Great to see it has been revived.

Fantastic! It was my second roadracing experience, the first being at the "Glen" street course in 1952. My father frequently participated at Thompson and hauled me along for the first time in 1953. He was racing a vintage Morgan 4/4. Some funny stories. My first taste of Pizza there too.

If I'm not mistaken, it was the first road course in the US. The car club that I'm in played a role in its revival. We've been doing autocrosses in their parking lot. They even asked us how wide it should be.

Too cool. I believe it first opened as an oval in 1938. Roadcourse was a seperate entity
which was adjacent property opened shortly after WWII.

Back