Jacket from Mario

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
We have a home in Norcal as my family is still there and on my last visit got to spend some time with my nephew who has a transportation company in the wine country, hes a member of a wine makers group that gathers for major events in the Napa Sonoma region. After spending a month working on the money pit I flew back to AR and on my return he sent me these pictures of he and his wife having dinner with Mario Andretti, (night before the Sonoma earthquake) as they where eating he told Mario about my car passion and the GT40 which I own, Mario said he would have liked to meet me but offered my nephew a Jacket to give to me. I told my nephew if I had known he was going to have dinner with Mario Andretti I would have stayed another week and ate with them! Pretty cool and I would have loved to have been there and would have bought dinner! He also got a ride in the 2 seater Honda indycar. Maybe next year. In the first photo I can see my nephew thinking my uncle is going to sh-t when he see's this. :)

Attachments

• IMG958624_resized.jpg
    IMG958624_resized.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG958588_resized.jpg
    IMG958588_resized.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG958595_resized.jpg
    IMG958595_resized.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG958586_resized.jpg
    IMG958586_resized.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG950618_resized.jpg
    IMG950618_resized.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Jack, I met Mario at the St. Petersburg Grand Prix and he was one of the only reasons I attended the event. Early Friday morning he was on his scooter and zipping along pretty good when I waived him down in the pits .....to my utter surprise, given how busy he must have been, he stopped just to say hello and signed a piece off my GT 40 I'd taken with me. IMHO the greatest driver of all time and truly one of the nicest guys one will ever meet. I hope you get a chance to meet him in the future. Nice jacket BTW.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Jimmy! I was waiting for someone to say something, I guess I'm just a little proud to have that jacket, (haven't gotten it yet) I'm rubbing it in a little I guess but I sure wish I was there. Glad you got to meet him, my nephew said he a great guy and was inspirational. He also is my first on greatest all time drivers.

Last edited:
Mario is Indy Car's biggest asset and likely America's best ambassador for motorsport. Great guy who loves what he is doing, we very are lucky to have him represent our sport.

BTW: Howard Jones is going to be soooo jealous :)

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I don't trust anyone in a headscarf even if they are a race driver. Especially if it's a man.
Yea I get what you mean Jim. :stunned:

If I ever see Howard again I might let him try it on. :)

Thanks Keith for putting this where it belongs.

Back