Bathurst Bashfest

Keith

Absolute carnage! Exciting race with a real twist at the last lap, but I saw that one coming a mile off. A look at the crew chief's face 2 laps from the end was a real giveaway. Loved the sound of the Volvos. Presumably, they are a custom build? i know they are 180 degree crank but does anyone know the origins of the motor? If they are custom for the series, how did they get around homologation regs?

Like this blue one here.

Volvo 10.jpg.

Z.C.

Keith, all cars have the same chassis/rollcage and transaxle etc. I think the only difference is front and rear panels, paint and engine.
Can anyone elaborate?
Cheers, Gus.

Absolute carnage! Exciting race with a real twist at the last lap, but I saw that one coming a mile off. A look at the crew chief's face 2 laps from the end was a real giveaway. Loved the sound of the Volvos. Presumably, they are a custom build? i know they are 180 degree crank but does anyone know the origins of the motor? If they are custom for the series, how did they get around homologation regs?

You got it in one Keith, I believe Yamaha were also involved in the Volvo engine build. Not much involved or reqd in regard to Homologation and having to build a certain number of similar cars like days gone by, the Nissan for example, they don't build a V8 version of that car and I think its engines based on a light truck block. the Fords engine IIRC is still based on the SVO Windsor 302 type block which has not been fitted to a new Aussie ford for several years and the Holden has been Chevy powered for several years. Basic criteria is 5 liters with something like a 7400? rev limit. They all use the Albins transaxle. Ford apparently pulling the pin later this year, but talk of involvement with Roger Penske with Marcus Ambrose as driver for one last bite at the cherry....

Keith

It also begs the question as to what will happen when they finish building the Falcons & Commodores in Oz.

Presumably, they'll all go turbo...:evil:

Keith

Cheers Jac, Yamaha eh? It gets a bit incestuous as Ford own most of Volvo these days anyway.

It was a bad tempered race with some pretty careless and rookie moves up and down the field. What was Whincup thinking on the penultimate laps? He threw that race away for sure and destroyed Winterbottom's too. Still, great result for FPR!

Oh, before I forget RIP the 'Roo on Conrod Straight. If they can still find what's left of it, it might make a decent burger on the mountain....:shocked:

Yamaha have had links with Ford Australia for some time, I remember reading an article about several cylinder head developments for the inline 6 cyl Falcon with cross-flow alloy heads ( pushrod ), assume they may have played a large part in development of later OHC heads for same engine ( albeit with revamped block ) for XR-6 versions of later Falcons- faster than V8 versions in some turbo 6 models.
Gotta say that Volvo race car is a sweet sounding toy, I think it was the Kelly boys who built an 8 into 1 system for the last of their Holdens before they jumped ship to Nissan, not sure what it uses.

Any chance of a link to the action? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Cheers Jac, Yamaha eh? It gets a bit incestuous as Ford own most of Volvo these days anyway.

Ford sold Volvo off to the Chinese some time ago.

And yes, Yamaha has involved in the Volvo V8 which is similar to the Ford SHO V8 of some years ago. Yamaha did all of the SHO engine development before the current "EcoBoost" version.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Bathurst has lost its appeal as far as I am concerned along with V8SC in general. As Jac said the cars all use basically the same chassis and drive trains and only differ really in the body panels. The great days of Bathurst where a car was taken off the Showroom floor given new brake pads, tyres and an engine blueprint and raced have long gone, much to my regret. V8SC today is the Australian version of Nascrap.
It's still a good reason for a BBQ though.

I enjoyed the race...was full of action, like Pete I dont follow V8sc much but always try for Bathurst.

Hoping we see the new 2015 Mustang body shell next year. I'm so sick of looking at taxi bodies.

I though Whincups approach to the end of the race was fine. He has won a few so coming second means nothing and no one remembers second place. Win or die attitude makes for a great race.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
talking about Volvo power....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlkqnVoQxqY"]Volvo Cars - High Performance Drive-E Powertrain Concept - YouTube[/ame]

Back