POssibly the most beautiful Can Am car ever..

Keith

Two things struck me about this photo. The first was that The Corkscrew is just a perfect place to snap racing cars, and second, what an absolute stunner the Shadow DN4 was. Compare it to the McLaren M8 (C,D,F?) behind.

Tony went on to design some very successful Jaguars in Group C, but it does demonstrate a time when brute force gave way to slippery aero. I think the DN4 won pretty much every race in Can Am's final year in this format.

Bonus:

Thanks to Walter and Ultimate Car page for their usual high quality shots.

I can't help but see this as a mid-engine Tim Burton era Batmobile.

OnStarBatmobile.jpg

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
So impartial :lol:

Attachments

• ScreenShot1296.jpg
    ScreenShot1296.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 261
  • ScreenShot1295.jpg
    ScreenShot1295.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 239
  • front 2.JPG
    front 2.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Yellow door stops, white door stops, orange door stops.....

No doubt that's where the SCCA inspiration came for the 1982 design of Spec Racer Ford, that still looks the same today.

12_btn_srf.jpg

Yup, that is one of the reasons I love my Spec Racer Ford. However, every time I describe the SRF as looking like a Can-Am car my crew reminds me that it may not be a meaningful reference for young race fans.

Looks like that picture was taken at Buttonwillow, home-track of 4-time national champ Mike Miserdino (driver of #11).

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
I do think SCCA Enterprises should update the shape. Making the car look more modern would go a long ways toward improving the look of the class and maybe even attracting some new blood.

But none of that is the SCCA way. Hell, a 50 year old MG was on the cover a few years ago with the boreoffs coverage.

Ron Earp

Admin
I agree, an improvement. If they'd upgraded a few other things it would have been even better, like ditching the Renault calipers, new body, etc.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I rather like the wedge shapes... Actually I really like them..

I am excited about the engine upgrade we are getting for next year, dropping 100 pounds and gaining 30hp. The sound of the new engine is awesome as well.

I hope SCCA doesn't ever shaft the owners of the Spec Racers again like the way they did when they left Renault for Ford power..

I've a fair amount of seat time in the Spec Racers (both Renault and Ford) and really appreciate the way that the cars handle at speed.. With aerodynamics far better than any of the Production cars I've raced (including Greenwood shod Corvettes), the Spec Racer can only be appreciated by those who havedriven them at their limits..
Peter - you are one of those people... Good show!!! :thumbsup:

Keith

So, now we've got all these forum heavyweights indulging in the worst example of thread hijacking since David Morton published a recipe for Limoncello on the All GT40 Forum.

Where are those goldarned infraction cards when you need them!!?!!

Ron Earp

Admin
Ain't no thread hijacking going on. We're talking about door stops, big and small.

I was watching some old vintage race footage of the white door stop with a wing and it had to retire due to a wing malfunction.

See, we're back on topic.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Kieth...I'm flatter at being considered a heavyweight, but please, no need to continue on with that...really...just stop it. :wideeyed: :wideeyed:

Keith

No, you're fine Peter, enjoying any conversation about auto racing in whatever genre. Feel free to carry on, I was just enjoying poking at the Boss...:)

Back