The unloved 456 Ferrari

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
After much debate I choose to purchase a 1999 Ferrari 456M GTA, I narrowed the possibilities to the 456M just because of price, they are giving them away compared to what they where new. It was either 612,575,550 or the 456 occupy the space from my recently departed GT40.:bigcry: The lines of the 456 where not my style but it grew on me soon as I put the 599 wheels on her and dropped the rear down about an inch. Car has 23k miles, major service done 3-4 years ago with less than 1000 miles on new belts and hoses. The motor mounts are an issue in these cars and these had failed so I changed them out for some polyurethane ones my son made for me but maybe they are perhaps a little to hard, you can feel the engine about 2k rpm. I'll find a suitable replacement down the road but for now we plan on driving it like we stole it. :) Other than sagging headliner, one bad speaker and the motor mounts its perfect.

Attachments

• 0922141902_resized.jpg
    0922141902_resized.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 469
  • 0924141108_resized(1).jpg
    0924141108_resized(1).jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 415
  • 0925140816c_resized.jpg
    0925140816c_resized.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 414
  • 456 with wheels.jpg
    456 with wheels.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 706

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Jack, that car is all about understated elegance.

I'd love to have a 456 GTA sitting next to my 550 (especially since the 550 isn't running :))

Very Nice Jack, and YEP, the wheels do make a difference in a very positive way. The wife (?) looks happy too which is a very important factor I'm sure.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
The wife is very happy, but now I can hear her while driving down the road. :) I guess one trade off for another. Ha! Took off the first stage of mufflers and ran straight pipes, its gives it a little growl but still pretty quite.

John for the price of a honda its a LOT of car. I am getting that cruise control unit you recommended for Christmas.

Thanks guys!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Not sure why they don't hold their value a little more but you can find many of them in the $30k-40k range. Like all other Ferrari's they have problems that need to be addressed but if you can work on one and keep it in good condition it will reward you with lots of fun driving and you can get the majority of your money back when you move on. I was looking at new ford trucks the other day and realized I've not purchased a new truck in a long time, it wasn't sticker shock it was sticker electrocution.:stunned:

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Typical 1st time Ferrari buyer's remorse statement:

"I could afford to buy it, I just couldn't afford to keep it running!"

Great looking car Jack, I didn't know you were a blonde.

Those 456's are a ton of car for the money. They were something like $250K new.

Nothing like a big V12. Good thing you can work on your cars, and like doing so. After working on the turbo 308 the V12 should be no problem. You know all about f-car parts prices obviously. I have a V12 in my '02 Merc S600....I wish it was in a 456 instead but I needed seating for five (four kids). If you don't know Brian Crall on fchat he's a good guy to know - knows all about the quirks of the 456's.

Put a Borla on her and go find your favorite tunnel.

Have fun!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jack,

I always liked the 456, Its a good looking car with all the right stuff.

Plus, it's an incredable amount of car for the money.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Jim and Jeff, I was looking at 3 cars when I bought it, 456, 550, 575 but couldn't pass up the bargain of the 456 although I like the looks of the other 2 better. I ordered a modern stereo with bluetooth and when it showed up found out the plugs for the Blaupunkt are the same as the Becker unit which is the stock radio, 10 minutes and I was listening to tunes from my phone. :) Have a cruise control that I'm putting on so it will be a nice hwy cruiser.

Cliff my wife likes it being an automatic, all my kids are grown and gone so it will have to be grand kids in the back seat. Anyone ever tell you what causes all those kids? :) The V12 Benz is bad ass cruiser too!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY EVERYONE!

I've always liked the 456 over the 612 myself.
Never knew about the motor mounts, is there a known cure, other than make your own bushings?
Enjoy !

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I've always liked the 456 over the 612 myself.
Never knew about the motor mounts, is there a known cure, other than make your own bushings?
Enjoy !

Yes there is a new improved mount they use in the 575 but they fail too, I have the 575 mounts but also ordered mounts that fit the enzo, looking at the pictures they look the same but the 575 are $300+ each and the enzo are $98. Figure that one out.... The 612 mounts look totally different and are the same as the new Maserati's use. You wouldn't think something so simple could be so difficult but it is a FERRARI. :shocked:

Back