Ford Quitting V8 Supercars 2015

Keith

It's a sad day. Some of the most epic tin top battles ever, since the dawn of motor racing, have been between Ford & Holden.

V8 Supercars, Quo Vadis?

They might be out for now, but it will be interesting to see what emerges from these new rules. with the turbo 4 & 6 cyl options its anyone's guess.

Attachments

• Main-Image-Tomorrowv2.jpg
    Main-Image-Tomorrowv2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 228

Kevin Box

Supporter
I am intrigued by this announcement.
At the same time Ford made this statement we have Marcos Ambrose appearing in a Falcon sponsored by Penske who will certainly be pouring money in for him to win. I wonder where that money is coming from ????
Maybe with Ford closing their manufacturing, it doesn't look good to be seen pouring money into race cars.
Are the two connected I wonder!!!

It will be interesting to see what happens from here.
Will a 4 door Mondeo be the next body to go into the mix as per Nissan and Volvo with production cars that never had a V8 in them
It is also possible Toyota aren't getting involved yet as they also are shutting down their Australian manufacturing plant.

Interesting times

Cheers
KevinB

With the previous efforts of Volvo & Nissan and turbocharging I would guess they will go back to that. 'Grey' area to me is the wording' must be sold/available in OZ'.... sooo is that the car & engine option or just the car sillouette with the engine choice up to the entrant [ which sort of covers the current Volvo ]. Lots of rumours- Lexus- Cadillac- remember Holden is gone as well soon, so what will GM fill the gaps with.

Keith

Perhaps a Ford Mondeo "Cosworth 500?" That would keep DJR happy anyway...and, make the racing more interesting again. I mean, it's virtually become a darned silhouette series...

Yes, bring back turbo 4 bangers..... :evil:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
V8 Supercars, Quo Vadis?

Where they'd better NOT be going is 'extinct'. :evil:

Supercars by definition have a minimum of 8 cyls. Anything less doesn't cut it in that category...I don't care how many turbos one sticks on a lesser engine.

E.g.: Remember the Jag XJ220? How well did THAT offering 'go over' after Jag announced the V12 for TT V6 swap? Of the 1,500 people (or so) who had put deposits down on the car, how many actually took delivery? Weren't there only 9 or 10 or so?)

'Nuff' said on that topic, IMHO...

:flameon:

Keith

That's possibly a US centric view Larry and in any event, the V8 Supercars series is a domestic Australian tin top series featuring large sedans. They are in no way a 'Supercar' such as the Jaguar you quote (which is a stunning looking car by the way). The reason it wasn't successful was more due to it's evil handling rather than the power plant - the motor being extremely powerful for the day.

Whilst it's true that V8's and V10's have figured in the UK during the past decade, they are not endemic in our car culture. Rice burners are very strong with the young and the number of high horsepower turbocharged youngsters is quite a scary proposition.

The situation is somewhat murkier on the Continent, because they have pretty tough laws against modifications unlike us, so the higher power cars tend to be the multi cylinder lumps. That too is changing of course, and I would expect to see the rise of V6 4L and V4 turbo engines coming to the fore. I say V4 because Porsche are being very successful with their 919 in just such a config, and I expect the big bangers to whither away eventually.

Personally, I really like the tech involved in extracting high performance out of small cubes.. :)

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...I interpreted the word "supercars" to mean something else, obviously! 'Guess I should have read the rest of the thread 1st. 'Might have dawned on me that was the case...

"...V8's and V10's...are not endemic in our car culture."

Of course not...more than partially because you've been paying thru the nose for your "petrol" since the dawn of time. So, in your neck of the woods it would follow that 'smaller' would naturally be accepted as 'gooder'...so to speak.

"The reason it (the 220) wasn't successful was more due to it's evil handling rather than the power plant - the motor being extremely powerful for the day."

I disagree, since 'the bottom fell out of the bucket' order-wise right after the engine swap was announced.

Keith

I disagree, since 'the bottom fell out of the bucket' order-wise right after the engine swap was announced.

I'd not heard of that,again, that's probably a US issue. Possibly emissions driven either that or they couldn't get it to run properly on the weak tea you call gasoline.. :)

This is also quite a bit before 'laptop' fuel injection. I am always amazed at what can be extracted from an ICE with ITB's and a management system..

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...probably a US issue. Possibly emissions driven either that or they couldn't get it to run properly on the weak tea you call gasoline.. :)

I doubt the 1,491 (or how ever many) orders cancelled were due to fuel issues/concerns, OR that all those orders were U.S.-based! :nice:

:chug:

Keith

Well, I've just checked it out on Wiki, and I've established one or two things. Firstly, the V6 n question was and still is one of the greatest racing engines ever conceived. Not only did it power the Group B Metro 6R4 World Rally Car but Jaguars Group C efforts too. It is a fantastic engine, still in use today.

Secondly, it appears they only actually produced 275 of them and I believe what you might be alluding too is the 'dropped options' when the bottom fell out of the classic car market.

If there was any inherent mechanical unreliability, it may have been due to the rather complex custom designed 4 wheel drive system but I have been unable to verify any complaints about the XK220 even after reading through the entire Wiki page.

Well, I have to say, thanks to you Larry, I know a whole lot more about this fantastic looking car than I ever did before. I wonder what they are changing hands for these days? Big bucks I would reckon...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XJ220

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Secondly, it appears they only actually produced 275 of them and I believe what you might be alluding too is the 'dropped options' when the bottom fell out of the classic car market.

I was going by memory, Keith...and, admittedly, I was being a bit facetious about the number ordered/built/delivered as well. But, the V12 vs. TT V6 was the nail in the coffin for many.

I wonder what they are changing hands for these days? Big bucks I would reckon...

I would imagine...'haven't looked into it at all.

Back