917 plastic windshield

I've been contemplating having a molded (formed) plastic windshield made for a 917. It would be of a hardened, scratch-resistant material, such as a lexan mr10 w/ mar guard (or equivalent).

It would be based on an RCR car, so no idea about fitment with an original, Bailey Edwards, etc...

I have to take a minimum run so if anybody might be interested in one please PM me. This is something I'm just tossing around in my head at the moment, so it wouldn't be done for a few months probably.

Alex,

An original screen and bodywork was loaned by me to Fran to make his RCR 917 front moulds so you are guaranteed the right shape.

I,ve been racing my 917 since 2005 and have never used the wipers ,as a coat of rainex on the screen just lets the water run off completely, as you can imagine with a screen shape like a 917.

The bonded glass screen formed an intergral part of the upper body rigidity on the original cars, but with your much altered and strengthened RCR chassis I think you would get away with a Lexan type screen. Certainly it would be much lighter.

I would seriously think about this though, as my screen takes a lot of hammering just on the track alone due to it aerodynamics, and I would think that "plastic " will show wear much quicker than you would expect.

I,ll stick to laminated glass.

I'm using mr10 lexan in my cobra and an equivalent in my sl-c.

Both look brand new after years of use. With proper care I think they're far superior to glass (easier to remove/better optics)

The problem is we have a shit-tonne of rocks up here and you can barely make it around the corner before your glass cracks from stones getting shot up at you.

++++++ with Graham
And specially because there is the possibility to get laminated glass one's avaible !!
lexan one's will need "tire off" portective plies etc etc ???

Back