R.I.P. Justin Wilson

Keith

I knew that he had had a heavy crash but just got this info..

Wilson was struck by debris from a single-car crash on Lap 180 of the 200-lap race on the 2.5-mile triangular oval. Wilson was attended to by the Holmatro (sp?) Safety Team and airlifted to Leigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest in Allentown, Pa.

<center class="ebz_native_center" style="overflow: hidden; height: 0px; margin: auto; display: block; width: auto;">
ADVERTISEMENT
</center>A native of Sheffield, England, Wilson recorded seven career Indy car victories - the most recent in 2012 at Texas Motor Speedway - and eight pole starts in 174 races. He totaled 711 career laps led, including two in the Aug. 23 race. He competed in Formula One in 2003 with Minardi and Jaguar, and his initial F1 points were scored that year in the U.S. Grand Prix on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course. He co-drove a Michael Shank Racing sports car entry to the overall victory in the 50th anniversary Rolex 24 at Daytona in 2012.

Sad day. One of the sport's gentlemen and he never ever stopped trying....

Howard Jones

Supporter
Justin was one of the few Sportsman Pro's left. Really a good guy. We could use a few more like him.

Maybe should start another thread but I would be interested in hearing what this group of informed committed caring fans would think about inclosing the cockpits of open wheel cars. Lets start with Indy and F1.

Would it effect the fan's interest in the sport? After I get past the historical point I don't think it would change my interest level. I really am effected by these kind of serious injury's and deaths . I would prefer to do what we can to prevent them.

But for now gods speed Justin and god bless your family.

More sad news this week.

A very well respected & liked driver, taken in a similar 'no fault' incident to the late Henry Surtess at Brands. RIP to you both.

Back