A bit of competition for those GT40s?

OK - perhaps 50 years too late but anyone with cars based in the UK willing to share a project milestone with me?

YouTube Video - "The 13"

We are planning a "demo" run on a sprint track in the UK early August. Whilst there will be plenty of choice classic Jaguars sharing the day with me, I would dearly like the opportunity to share the same piece of tarmac with one of those mighty GT40s - demo run only - no racing (well, not yet anyways .....)

Jaguar's XJ13 rolled out of Jaguar's Competition Department 50 years ago. It should have competed in the 1966 Le Mans (or maybe even the '65) but sadly never turned a wheel in anger. The Mk1 GT40 was very much in Jaguar's sights. The presence of one of these mighty machines would really make the day - not only for me, but also the surviving XJ13 Project Team and other ex-Jaguar VIPs who will be sharing the day with me.

Any kind souls out there with a suitable GT40? If so, please contact me for details.

June_2016.jpg

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Hi Neville, not suitable for what you are asking, but I and Im sure others would love to come to see the finished article in action. Is this open to public?
Dave

Hi Neville, not suitable for what you are asking, but I and Im sure others would love to come to see the finished article in action. Is this open to public?
Dave

It is a private party Dave but I am always happy to meet up with fellow-enthusiasts - especially if they are accompanied by one of these wonderful cars! Please message me via this forum or click HERE if you are interested in joining us on the day.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Time to resurrect this discussion/debate?

Original XJ13 - Would it have been competitive?

image.axd

1966 study carried out by Jaguar's Malcolm Sayer

Very very interesting...
I love the shape of the Jag and wish they could have come to the party back in the day...

I'm most curious about the wind tunnel testing done here.
Seeing the flow over the top/roof of the car being stated as "Good flow all over roof", causes me to wonder how the aerodynamics change at speed. At roughly 200 MPH, the air flow over the roof was not good at all and actually a negative pressure was built up just aft of the windshield. This negative pressure would cause the door tops to be sucked upward, therby necessitating the creation of the door top "eye brows" to retain them.
So with that said - how many other observations at 40MPH could change while the vehicle is at speed? Hence the "dynamics" of Aerodynamics...

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Too bad they took a sideline approach instead of getting into the game. In the words of Mike Tyson... everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the face :)

Back